PDA

View Full Version : NEW Dampener Pulley and Fluidampr to Boot!

JFerg65
08-08-2011, 13:02
Thought I would throw this one up here. After some AC maintenance/troubleshooting I discovered a large part of my dampener pulley had fallen off. A no brainier as to where the idle vibration was coming from.

Happened to have some cash on hand for once. Ordered up a new pulley and sprung for a fluidampr. WOW I think I have a new truck. Night and day difference. It has never sounded this good since I have owned it. I also replaced the front seal while I was at it.

Just wanted to give my thumbs up for this little upgrade.

And yes I know the fluidampr is wayyyyyy expensive, but I don't plan on selling this truck for many years.

Robyn
08-09-2011, 06:55
Good deal

The fluid damper has definately had a good reputation.

Glad you got that little ditty taken care of before it scrapped the crank for ya.

Missy

JFerg65
08-09-2011, 07:05
I'll tell you what. I really had my blinders on for this one. I was certain it was one of the accessories (compressor,alt, vac pump, power steering pump) that was about to crap out on me. I just never even thought about the dampener pulley going south even thought they have that reputation. Just couldn't see the forest through the the trees until I was holding the hunk of rubber from the pulley in my hands. As I was standing in front of the truck afterward... I really felt like a dumb ass.... Oh well, at least I caught it.

More Power
08-10-2011, 11:13
The only negative (if you can call it that) about the Fluidampr is the tight interference fit over the crank snout that couple of owners have reported. A cold crank and a hot damper should make it easier to install. Otherwise, all those who've installed the FD, who I've heard from, report a smoother running engine. We'll see in the not too distant future. I'll be assembling a 6.5 before long - with an FD... Jim

JFerg65
08-11-2011, 18:05
I had no problems getting the FD on the crank. The biggest hassle was getting the new front seal installed. It was a good thing I ordered two for just this reason.

garre1tt
08-15-2011, 17:09
I remember my first bad dampener. I too thought it was the AC system. I even bought the new compressor. I ran out of time and had to take it to the shop. Real good independant mechanic had to let me know it was not the AC. Felt real stupid. Held that pump for seven years and put it on this summer.

Burning Oil
08-15-2011, 23:43
Just a FYI for anyone interested. I can sell the Fluid damper for $415 + $20 shipping to lower 48 and charge only my cost on shiping to other countries.