PDA

View Full Version : Missing power

Motorhome
08-11-2011, 08:22
Hi,
my old motorhome equipped with 6.2 has three odd "features".

1. When I start cold I get some white smoke from one of the cylinder banks for about 30 seconds. Not much but it's there.

2. If I drive slow (about 20 mph) and accelerate the motor "hesitates" for some seconds before I get real response.

3. If I stay in idle for 5 - 10 minutes and drive away after that, the engine stops after some hundred yards. I can start it again by cranking for 10-15 seconds.

As far as I can see is there no problem with the fuel lines so air in the system should not be the problem. The lines are about 28 ft but that can't be a problem?!
There is no problem starting the engine warm so the injection pump apperars to be ok.
The only thing I haven't tested is the fuel pump on the right side of the motor. Can 2 and 3 be caused by a bad pump?
Is the cold start smoke something to be worried about?
Rgds
Nils

DmaxMaverick
08-11-2011, 12:27
The cold start smoke could mean tired injector(s), or a bad glow plug or two. It could mean other things, but start there.

A worn out fuel lift pump could cause the hesitation and dying. If your overall power, moreso at the top end, is low, the pump is more likely. This is usually accompanied with hard or out of time shifting (auto tranny). Symptoms similar to a plugged fuel filter.