PDA

View Full Version : j code intake on c code engine

Vin82k3500
08-19-2011, 18:30
I have a serious concern I had a very nice running 6.2 c code engine and i mean so nice I have no desire to even put a turbo on it. I found a crack in the intake manifold and the egr was not working properly so i have installed a j code non egr intake my question is this an ok swap It would seem so but I read an artical about removing the egr from these engines that has me concerned I have not yet started the engine but plan to have it running soon is it ok to eliminate the egr on c code heads I was told this morning its not advisable but my local sources stink unless its a cummins.

DmaxMaverick
08-19-2011, 19:29
The heads won't know or care. The EGR only keeps the EPA happy. Unless you need it there to pass a smog test, it serves no practical purpose.

Vin82k3500
08-19-2011, 20:43
well thats how i fell as well I read somewhere that it would suffer on power but it just makes no sense cold air is better for power exhasut gas is not cold air right

Vin82k3500
08-19-2011, 20:44
well thats how i fell as well I read somewhere that it would suffer on power but it just makes no sense cold air is better for power exhasut gas is not cold air right
no smog test for old diesels in northern maine

DmaxMaverick
08-19-2011, 21:10
Exhaust gas is not only not cold, it contains burned fuel and much less O2. The purpose of EGR is to cool the exhaust gasses and decrease NOX. It has no function, purpose, or effectiveness on a Diesel, but the EPA likes it. In the end, your truck is so far removed from the original powerplant, you are probably exempt from everything, including helping old ladies cross the street. The only catch is, it can be unlawful to modify the emission system on any vehicle. Your truck didn't have EGR when it was new, if it was equipped with a Diesel (only 1/2 tons had EGR). You're off the hook, in any case.

Vin82k3500
08-20-2011, 16:37
Cool it did have the j code engine originally it has since had a 4.3 v6 and a 305 and a 350 now the c code engine i have installed was in fact from a half ton 2wd so yes the original engine didnt have egr but this one does but i do want to remove for the obvious reasons as you well understand I did forget to mention the less o2 factor:cool:

Robyn
08-21-2011, 06:56
Your little 6.2 will thank you for removing that nasty EGR.

Not only will it not hurt anything, the loss of that EGR is a good thing.

The EGR intoduces soot in copious quantities into the intake, which sticks to the oil vapor residue that comes in from the CDR (crankcase vent)

All this crap builds up in the intake and forms a nasty sticky sludge in the runners of the intake, on the backside of the valves and such.

If any of this crap thats built up breaks loose and falls into the cylinder it can cause damage.

I have seen heavy carbon buildup from the EGR soot thats fallen into a cylinder and then it gets trapped on top of the piston and pounds the thing to pieces.

There is only about .045" clearance between the crown of the piston and the head in one of these engines. A chunk of carbon can be a lot thicker, sooooooooo, all around the EGR is a bad deal.

Enjoy the J code intake, your engine will.

Missy

Edahall
08-21-2011, 16:57
The intake runners on my Suburban were constricted to about 50% due to the carbon from the EGR. Instead of installing a C code intake manifold, I cut / chipped out the EGR center piece and plugged up the hole in the center. I then chipped out all the carbon crud from the runners.

Robyn
08-21-2011, 19:03
There are two different J code intakes, one is a single plane and the other is a dual plane.

The prefered one is the single plane unit.

Missy

Edahall
08-21-2011, 19:53
There are two different J code intakes, one is a single plane and the other is a dual plane.

The prefered one is the single plane unit.

Missy

Could you take the web out and convert it to a single plane unit?

Vin82k3500
08-22-2011, 01:14
I have the j code intake from my original engine and it is in fact the single plane and more good advice i figured that was how all that soot got into that intake there is no need or reason for that junk to be in a place were only clean air belongs

Robyn
08-22-2011, 07:47
Air flow is funny stuff and a lot of design work goes into these manifolds to get optimal flow. I would say, leave what is there alone.

If you have a dual plane, use it as is.

These were designed to produce power at different RPM levels and to mess around with the divider could make a real mess of the air flow characteristics.

Missy