PDA

View Full Version : 120,000 mile blues...

markrinker
01-28-2004, 20:34
My odometer rolled passed the elusive 120K mile mark today..."OMG, no more IP warranty" I thought...

Visions of 4-digit repair bills and sneering GM Service Advisors ran through my head while completing todays 400+ mile, 75MPH thrash in sub-zero temperatures - 3,500lbs of cold rolled steel and extruded aluminum bars strapped to the flatbed...

"May the Standyne gods smile down on me for many tens of thousands of miles!!!"

TurboDiverArt
01-29-2004, 03:25
No PMD cooler? I think the jury is in that most IP problems are at least in some way caused/related to PMD problems. My IP and PMD are fine and I have 120K but I spent the money to put in a Heath cooler. I sleep much better now.

markrinker
01-29-2004, 04:40
I guess my thought was to wait and install a new remote mounted PMD with heat sink if and when this one fails.

Are you suggesting that running a PMD in its stock form could lead to IP failure? I never picked up on that correlation, if there is one...

moondoggie
01-29-2004, 05:11
Good Day!

I don't think that correlation (FSD causing IP failure) has been made here.

You might want to consider purchasing an FSD Cooler & carrying it with you. If I counted on my truck the way it sounds like you do, I wouldn't leave my driveway without one. You can, at your leisure, pop the hood & take a look at what it would take, on the side of the road, to install the Cooler. Heck, I'd even consider bolting the Cooler on now, then if/when it fails, you simply have to move the wire. (If that was a good idea, it's awful early in the year for it - I only get one per year. ;) )

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

rjschoolcraft
01-29-2004, 05:49
Here recently, I'd say the evidence points to more problems with remote mounted coolers. Just search and read some of the posts. I know that will probably rile some folks, but so be it. My FSD is still mounted to the pump. I had the engine replaced at about 65,000 miles and the pump replaced at about 75,000 miles under warranty in 2000. My Suburban now has over 188,000 miles with the no FSD or pump related problems...plus new performance upgrades. My FSD will stay put until something convincingly tells me to move it.

I started using Stanadyne Performance Formula in every tank in August of 2002 at 132,000 vehicle miles. Some believe that the improved lubricity reduces the load on the FSD. I also run without the "Turbo Power" cover starting at about the same time as the additive. Maybe that helps?

moondoggie
01-29-2004, 09:53
Good Day!

The one REALLY BIG advantage of a Cooler is you can easily change the FSD anywhere you might be: driveway, highway, whatever. Of course, if it's better to leave it on the IP, perhaps I'll get to practice this often

pannhead
01-29-2004, 16:31
i'd stick to "if it aint broke, dont fix it" ;)

kowsoc
01-30-2004, 05:43
A cooler is important but the location is probably more important. Heat-soak that the FSD sees after shutdown when mounted above or near the engine is why people have repeat failures. The key is to mount the cooler well away from the underhood environment. Mounting the FSD on a hot fuel injection pump in the hot "v" of the engine with the fuel filter pre-heating fuel....your FSD and injection pump days are numbered. This was most of the 6.5's problems in the first place!

Since the injection pump relies on fuel going through it for cooling, I relocated the fuel filter to the fenderwell, away from pre-heating, and the pump is definitely happier. The only real heat it sees now is heatsoak after shutdown. I have a temperature gauge on my injection pump....not a great place for a poorly designed FSD!

rjschoolcraft
01-30-2004, 15:38
The fuel filter was moved to the engine "V" to improve cold weather fuel flow and help to prevent gelling. That might be a concern where you live (although the high temp here today was 9F). I'm sure that my FSD days are numbered... But it must be a pretty high number! ;)

catmandoo
01-30-2004, 19:06
ronniejoe don't leave that stanadyne additive in your vehicle,we got down to -10f the other night and the next morning it was gelled on the top 1/3 of the jug

rjschoolcraft
01-31-2004, 09:15
Catmandoo, it was -10F here this morning. Suburban fired right up. The bottles of additive that I keep in the back were as liquid as they are on a 90F day. I don't think there's a problem with Standadyne Performance Formula. I run it year round and have NO gelling problems at all. I even dumped a bottle in the tank of my dad's 4020 John Deere. It was having some gelling problems a few weeks ago at about 12F. This morning, at -10F, it started and ran fine with no evidence of gelling.

I don't know what happened to your additive, but it is not the norm.

kowsoc
02-01-2004, 08:02
Good point Ronnie and it was a concern of mine at one time. However, we are just in the midst of the coldest weather I have seen here....-35C and wind chills close to -50C. I have always used a fuel additive and most have anit-gel. My IP temperature now is around 40F. It would be interesting to know what the temp at the filter is as the electric heater is still operable. The truck has been going everyday in this weather without missing a beat.

The real benefit of moving the filter is in summer the IP temperature doesn't go much over 120F. Heat soak after shutdown will bring it up to 200F sometimes though, but it drops to 120 after a couple minutes of running.

This low lubricity fuel used now is even less effective for lubricating the IP when high fuel temps make the viscosity lower. Also components in the IP probably don't want the heat either...like the optic sensor, stepper motor, and fuel solenoid.

I still think it was a bad design to put the filter in the heat....and it is not going back there either. smile.gif