PDA

View Full Version : Parking Brake Pedal Releasing?

trbankii
08-26-2011, 07:42
I've been having a problem with my parking brake pedal releasing on its own lately. Thankfully, only once was it a problem and I had to jump back into the truck to keep it from rolling away. But anywhere from 30 seconds to several minutes (or more) after setting the brake it will pop back off randomly. I can go for weeks without a problem.

Any adjustments I should look at? Or is it a matter of things wearing and a part needs to be replaced?

DmaxMaverick
08-26-2011, 07:51
There's not really much to go wrong there. Check for free movement of the release lever handle, and the ratchet pawl and spring. If you've "tied" the cable (if the 93 has one) out of the way, or if it's kinked, it can develop more friction than the return can overcome. Look at the ratchet pawl and rack for rounded-off teeth. Lubricate all the pivot points with light oil or WD40. There are a couple plastic bushings that can rupture, which should be replaced if so.

trbankii
08-26-2011, 09:03
Thanks. I'll have to take a closer look.

The release works freely. But I'll look at the teeth and bushings. Wasn't sure if this was a known/typical issue.

HH
08-28-2011, 07:07
I had a similar issue on mine, and replaced one of the cables. Can't remember which as at some point I have replaced all three.