PDA

View Full Version : First Time Fuel Filter Issue - Maybe

EdHale
08-27-2011, 09:33
I started my truck this morning and it fired instantly as it always does. I backed up about 20' and the engine stopped dead. It was like turning the key off. It wouldn't restart so I got out and bled the fuel filter thinking an air bubble maybe. It did restart but it took longer to start than normal. I ran one short errand and then decided to change the filter. When I turned it to take it off it wasn't very tight at all. I think it might have loosened up over the past 8,000 miles since I put it on because I'm sure I didn't leave it that loose. I'm thinking now that it loosened up and I got an air leak. Since I had it almost off, I went ahead and changed it making sure I tightened it pretty good. That obviously was the problem since it now starts instantly as in the past. I was pretty sure it wasn't bad fuel since I haven't filled up in over 600 miles and no problems up to this morning.
Another reason to carry a filter and necessary tools around. This is the first time in 350,000 diesel miles I have ever had a filter problem and this one seems to be operator error (me).

Oh well, live and learn.

Mark Rinker
08-31-2011, 09:31
Ed - try using 'Mechanix Gloves' when you install for a better grip on the filter. I have found that hand tightening works, especially if I rest my hands for a few during the first startup / leak check, and then give it one more 1/8 turn.

EdHale
09-01-2011, 03:36
Good idea Mark. My hands do get a bit slick and I'm sure I just didn't tighten it enough initially thinking back.
All is working perfectly after I changed to the new filter, so I'm sure it was just a loose filter. Interesting it took 8,000 miles to loosen up which included two trips with my 5'er to Florida and back. I always change the filter at 10,000 miles anyway so it was no big deal to do it a little early.

Your truck pictures are looking good. I know you will be glad to get it back in service.

DmaxMaverick
09-01-2011, 05:23
It may not have loosened up all of a sudden. The fuel system is very tolerant of air, and it takes quite a bit to cause a no-start. Many things can change the conditions, weather being the most common. The fuel outlet in the filter doesn't pick-up at the top of the fuel level, but a bit below (at the end of the element nipple), and the space above that can be air with no problems. If the leak is slight enough, the air could have been accumulating over time and that morning was just the last. If the overnight temps were a bit lower, coupled with a lower tank level, the thermal contraction of the air/fuel could have put it over the edge, causing the air to de-prime the pump (air expands/contracts at a much higher rate than fuel). The pump will not self-prime, under any condition I've seen. No fuel, no pump. A filter that's been in service for a while, a tank of contaminated fuel, and/or a failed fuel filler cap (not venting in) will exaggerate the condition with increased restriction.

This is not common only to Duramax fuel systems. Others, even OTR's, have had this issue. The Duramax vans experience this at a much lower rate, but they have an electric priming pump. This greatly reduces the condition, but may mask a leak at the same time. Installing a fuel lift pump and controller will almost completely remove this issue.

EdHale
09-02-2011, 04:08
It sounds like you described my conditions perfectly. It was the first cool morning we have had in weeks, and my tank was under 1/4. As I said above, I had this filter in service for 8,000 miles.

Since I put in the new filter all is well. I guess I just didn't tighten it enough and when your described "perfect storm" all came together at the same time - quick start and quick stop.