PDA

View Full Version : Rancho or Bilstein or ???

Subzilla
08-31-2011, 12:32
Need shocks for 1993 S15 Jimmy. The vehicle never sees the offroad and doesn't pull anything. Just need something to make for a comfy ride. Rancho has a rebate thing going right now. I think the Jimmy came with Bilsteins from the factory, they were on there when I got it.

Any preference??

DmaxMaverick
08-31-2011, 13:11
Bilstein makes Bilstein. I don't know who's making Ranchos this week. Monroe and Gabriel are good too (about the same as Rancho), and many of them are warrantied for life. KYB are very good, as well, for heavy use, but I don't know about their light/passenger car use.

JohnC
09-01-2011, 13:17
KYB are very good, as well,

KYB stands for Keep Your Bilsteins...

IMHO, a 100K mile Bilstein is better than a new one of any of the others.

Mark Rinker
09-04-2011, 18:18
Took the 145K mile Bilsteins off my son's 2004 Blazer, they were rusted and looked like crap. Turns out that all four had good rebound, a buddy of mine took them off my hands, rather than toss them.

One year later, the Gabriels we put on are shot, the ride is worse than before the replacement.

Wish I had the old Bilsteins lying around - I'd put them back on.

Subzilla
09-05-2011, 09:27
Definitely looks like we have a group consensus. Figured that would be the case and I will go with the best. Wish John Kennedy still had the Bilstein shock deal. I think that was a year ago or so.

Thanks for the opinions.

trbankii
09-05-2011, 09:43
Another vote for the Bilsteins - you really cannot go wrong with them.

About the only downside is the price, but if you're planning on keeping the vehicle for awhile then the cost of a replacement set for the cheaper ones and the time spent to put them in makes the Bilsteins seem cheap.