PDA

View Full Version : Added to the fleet!

Subzilla
09-02-2011, 07:56
Yippie! Purchased a '94 k1500 extended cab! Figured I would expand outside my 6.2 box. Supposedly, it has a fresh 70k engine & IP(280k on the body) and it runs fairly strong. Blows some black smoke so I'm a little supicious on how the wastegate is holding. Gotta check that. Already have the new PMD with a cooler sitting on the garage floor waiting for installation. This truck has the PMD mounted on the pump and no cooler. Figured everybody should know by now this is bad, bad. Gotta get some guages - EGT and boost. She's a little slow on initial start-up, maybe glow plugs are toast. Need to fix a few other minor things and she'll be road ready.

The check engine light was flashing intermittently so I pulled the codes: 32, 33, & 74.

32 & 33 are EGR troubles (32 - EGR Circuit Error, 33 - EGR Control Pressure/Baro Sensor Circuit High) I will start visually looking at the system for anything obvious, then get back with you guys (after searching the forum). Anything I should check first??

74 is Transmission Input Speed (TIS) Sensor Circuit. Did a search but didn't see anything. What and where is this?

Robyn
09-02-2011, 08:14
WE NEED TO SEE A

SOME PICCY'S
:D:D:D

Missy

Subzilla
09-05-2011, 09:02
Pics will come.

So what's up with the 32, 33, 74 codes?

Also, I got the stumbliing and stalling on the way home Friday night. After running for 10 minutes, it stalled out. It would restart almost immediately but I could only move like a 1/2 mile at a time. Did this a few times, then decided to do the "pour water on the PMD" trick. Seemed to work for the remaining 5 miles home - no more stalling.

Remote mounted the new PMD/cooler yesterday and drove around. Never stalled but did get some stumbling under a load. So, not sure if the PMD fixed the problem. It's a little sluggish to start.:(

Decided to change check the lift pump and change the fuel filter so I pulled out TDP R&R manual. Hmmm, look for the brass "T" valve toward the front of the engine, it says. Uhh, it ain't there! Previous mechanic/owner replaced the engine 40k miles ago and must have though it wasn't important. I see the mounting threads/hole to the left of the oil filler tube on the water crossover but no fuel lines or valve. Not sure how this fuel line is routed.

I'm new to this 6.5 creature so I need some help. How can I check for lift pump operation? Can I change the filter without this valve? Do I just install the new filter and prime her up with the pump fuse on the firewall?

Robyn
09-05-2011, 09:29
The 33-34 are definately related to the EGR system.

An EGR thats not working right (open when it should not be) can cause a very sluggish running engine. With exhaust being dumped in at the wrong time the intake air will be polluted with exhaust and cause a really sour running engine.

The 74 is related to the input speed sensor on the tranny. This will cause shifting issues as well as other problems.

Are these codes showing at present or were they stored ??

Unhook the batteries for about a minute to clear the codes and then try again and see if they come back.

Unhhok the vacuum line from the EGR pod and plug it, then see how the rig runs.

Missy