PDA

View Full Version : 97 engine block in to a 93 mechanical

DARRYL
09-04-2011, 21:19
Just bought a 93 k3500, owner installed a 97 motor in a 93. He by passed the oil cooler. Just made a hose loop from output line to input line. Hose poped of while driving, oil ran out. I repaired by attaching the hose with proper fitting clamps and put in new oil. Started driving and after about 5 miles, again oil leak. This time the hose did not come off, the fittings going into the block were leaking. Can anyone tell me how to repair this problem. Also, after the repair the truck started putting out white smoke and was running rough when exceeding 2.5k rmp. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Robyn
09-05-2011, 06:34
Welcome to TDP

What we are dealing with is likely two unrelated issues.

The fittings on the block for the oil cooler thread into the block. These are 1/2" pipe thread.

You really need to get a cooler hooked up to that engine.

You can use JIC fittings and reusable hydraulic hose to fashion some replacement hoses.

The original fittings thread into the block and have a snap in arrangement that allows the cooler lines to just "snap" into the fittings.

Without seeing the fitting you have I can't really say why they are leaking.

Now as far as the white smoke goes, I am not sure.
A 93 truck would have a DB2 injection pump installed. White smoke is due to misfire or retarded timing.

Now does the engine seem to MISSFIRE when you reach 2500 RPM ??

If its a missfire, then you likely have a bad injector ???

I dont think the oil leak is related to the smoke though.

Post some pix of the fittings.

What is the oil pressure reading at idle and at road speed. If you ran all the oil out, there may have been internal damage ??

Missy

DARRYL
09-05-2011, 21:21
thank you for info, now have a starting point.

DaveBr
09-10-2011, 22:00
Go to www.pmdcable.com (http://www.pmdcable.com) they sell a kit with oil cooler, braided hoses and fittings for your truck.