PDA

View Full Version : Best Head gaskets and Bolts

chestatee
09-08-2011, 10:56
Who makes the best head gaskets and new head bolts today? I understood from one of Jim's early articles in DPs R+R book that there were some issues with the earlier designs on the 6.5 gaskets but fel pro had made some changes years ago. However, he seemed to indicate there may still a design problem, but not sure of any further changes if any. Is there someone else making a better product than fel pro today?
Head Bolts - who is making the best bolts, at one time it was fel pro again but in the past few years I've heard another brand being mentioned but can't recall the name.

Thank you for the input
Michael

Hooptybass
09-08-2011, 16:51
I just went thru this and was told by everyone here to use Fel-Pro and nuttin else for both :D

Robyn
09-09-2011, 06:47
FELPRO is the ticket

Victor has gaskets and bolts available too but, I would not use them.

The head gaskets from Felpro have the latest upgrades and are the top choice.

Under NO circumstances would I use a Cometic MLS gasket ever again, at least not on a 6.5

The latest gaskets from Felpro have the area around the coolant passages on each end reinforced with a stainless piece that covers the entire area.

This area was a trouble spot and would erode and blow out. The new design pretty well eliminates the issues.

The bolts from Felpro are the TTY (Torque to yield) type and come with a the little Torque spec sheet (Bolt sequence) included for about $24 a set (one head)

Some folks swear by the stud kits but, the TTY bolts get the job done and when things are all proper the system works really well.

These bolts come with a dry silicone sealer on the threads and under the bolt head.

These bolts are to be installed just as they come from the box. Make sure the threads in the block are clean and dry.

Torque through the pattern once at 20-25 pounds then back through at 50-55 pounds and then back through the pattern one last time, giving each bolt 1/4 turn.

That last 1/4 turn is a workout for sure. After doing 17 bolts in sequence, it will put a sweat on yer brow ;)

Missy

chestatee
09-13-2011, 14:50
Your data confirming my beliefs=. Fel-Pro Q9701PT Is described as Steel Core Laminate, is this the same part # your referring to.
Hey 90% of replies are APP Head stud folks mainly because they can reuse them. I do understand they can easily be over torqued.
Thanks
Michael

Robyn
09-13-2011, 17:37
I believe that those are the gaskets