PDA

View Full Version : Door Striker issues

Robyn
09-09-2011, 08:02
Well now, we have all had issues with the plastic sleave on the door striker pin on our older Burbs, pickups and K5's

The plastic sleave that the latch wraps around wears out, falls off and then the door rattles and will not latch securely.

A word of caution here.

Many times when you remove the striker pin the little NUT Plate inside the body "B" Pillar will fall down into the bottom of the pillar :eek: (Been there done that)

Aside from the cussing, swearing and throwing of tools this situation requires that the interior panel be removed and that one goes on a fishing expedition in hopes of getting the errant little part back in place.

The last few days have seen the driver door on my 89 K5 rattling. Investigation revealed that the plastic sleave was GONE :(

OK the Ma General store does not sell the little plastic parts any longer.

I scrounged around the shop and came up with a piece of UHMW plastic round stock.
Tossed this little bugger in the lathe and quickly made a new little sleave to go on the striker pin.

Now the issue of getting the pin out and not having the plate fall into the body :confused:

Sooooooooo I CAREFULLY unscrewed the pin until it was almost out, but not quite, then I used to silicone gasket maker on the end of a Zip Tie and worked a little bit of it up under and between the nut plate and the inside of the body.

Next I realigned the striker studs washers with the body paint and snugged the stud back down.

I left this set overnight so the silicone would cure.

This morning I went out and removed the stud and installed the new plastic sleave.

Job done and no worries.

Missy