PDA

View Full Version : Humming Truck

headymusk
09-10-2011, 10:55
I had a humming noise develope in the front end on the way back from Canada. I thought it was my hub bearing going out again but without a mechanic checking it I went ahead and changed it out and low and behold the hum is still there!!!!! Any one have any ideas as what to check next?!

DmaxMaverick
09-10-2011, 13:45
Without knowing the conditions you hear the noise (details are helpful), try spraying the CV joint boots with WD40 or similar light lubricant. This is temporary, and should be cleaned and lubed with dry silicone lube.

Also, check the tires for cord separation or something stuck in the tread, debris in the grill/frontal area, or loose body/grill parts. If the lower air dam is loose, it can make all kinds of strange noises at speed.

headymusk
09-10-2011, 22:40
I can feel the vibration in the steering wheel. It kind of feels like bad u-joints. It will hum if Iler off the gas all the way to an idle unless I hit the brakes or if I just slightly turn the steering wheel going down the road. Im thinking possible front axel joints?

DmaxMaverick
09-10-2011, 23:10
Could be the joints, or the boots. Could also be the tires. Try the boot-lube test, then rotate the tires. Also check the brake pad wear while you're in there. The wear indicators can do this, early on.

DmaxMaverick
09-10-2011, 23:11
If the humming gets really annoying, teach it the words.....

headymusk
09-12-2011, 06:06
Dont know Max just thought someone had the same problem before, guess not. Thanx anyway. I ordered a new half shaft, brake rotors, pads, ect. My moto...If all else fails, throw money at it!! Or I could take it to a dealer and get reamed....naaa, I,ll pay my own labor!! Sing it with me now...we all live in a heavy duty truck, a heavy duty truck!