PDA

View Full Version : Adding A Fuel Filter

94 GMC 6.5
09-11-2011, 01:29
I have been thinking about adding another fuel filter down along the frame. My thought was before the lift pump, in an attempt to provide a little protection. My concern is, will the filter make the pump work too hard, especially when it begins to get dirty. Also, if I put it after the lift pump, will it produce to much restriction for the lift pump to push. If so does anyone know of an aftermarket pump that would work. thanks in advance

94 6.5 TD truck

Robyn
09-11-2011, 06:31
Unless you have a severe contamination issue in the tank I would not bother to install a filter "PRE Lift Pump"

The one thing I would consider is this, the little fuel manager thats already on the rig is little more than a "CLOD SIFTER"

The life of your injection pump and injectors can be extended a LOOOOOOOOONG ways by installing a Racor 2 micron filter water seperator unit.

Remove the factory filter and toss it. Install a Racor #230R2 filter up by the ABS unit on a little bracket (easily fabricated) and extend the fuel line.

Remove the filter drain line and the feed line from under the manifold and reroute the feed line from your new filter to the IP.

The new Racor has a clear bowl on the bottom that can be drained easily and you can see if it has crap in it.

These filters use a screw on cartridge that has a removable/reusable water bowl and filters down to 2 microns.

These filters can be purchased with a heater if you really need it.

I have this one on the DaHooooley and it has been great.

The factory filter is such a PITA to change without making a mess, plus its way to small and does not filter all that well either.

The factory filters also have a habit of rusting out in the bottom.

The factory lift pump will push fuel through the Racor just fine.

You can install a pressure gauge on the outlet side of the filter so you can tell when the filter is starting to plug up.

If your fuel tends to be dirty from the supplier, you could install a 10 micron primary filter to knock out the big chunks and gather the bulk of any water.

Back in the "good old days" the GM trucks (6.2 engines) came with two really nice filters but, I suppose that the bean counters figured that we did not really need them. :rolleyes:

The lift pump is not really designed to suck through a filter, other than the little strainer in the tank. These are "Push pumps"

The Racor filter I mentioned is designed to be on the suction side but, it works fine under the low pressure on these systems.

Hope this helps

Missy