PDA

View Full Version : what would you do? (opinions)

mobilevet
09-12-2011, 10:24
I started a thread here (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=39469) about a problem I'm having with my truck. The problem is not resolved yet, but could very likely necessitate pulling the heads and possibly reworking them.

Here's the situation:
1. The motor has 270+ miles on it,
2. The block is damaged where one of the starter bolts screws in - this means that R&Ring the starter (or anything that requires it to be removed) is a major pain because it has to be shimmed up in order to seat correctly with the flywheel. IMO this makes the block worthless for a rebuild - unless the damage could be corrected in the process.
3. In addition to this, since it is a 94, it could be that this was one of the older blocks with design flaws (still need to check to be sure of this).

This is my work truck (mobile veterinary service) and I need it to be DEPENDABLE as I could have an emergency at anytime.

I really like the truck - I think the inside capacity is larger than the newer models and I already have the inside 'tricked' out to hold all my instruments/tools/medications/etc. All that might - or might not - fit in a newer model - without major modifications.

The power of the truck is probably more than I need (I believe it has 4.10 gears and I don't do much hauling) but it does have to haul around my gear all the time. I would like to maximize the MPG as most of my time is on the road (half highway, half back roads) but I still need 4x4, etc. I could probably gain some MPG if I raised the gear ratios, but that's a consideration for another time.

Anyway, now my question is what to do if I do have to rework the heads?

1.) R&R the heads, do nothing else and keep rolling?
2.) R&R the heads and put a short block in?
3.) Long block?
4.) Swap for a Duramax?
5.) Try and find a 93 to rebuild so that it has the old mechanical pump (reliability issue here)?
6.) 6.2?

Not sure which direction to head, but I am willing to invest and keep the truck for a good while longer so I'm keeping all my options open.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Robyn
09-12-2011, 13:38
With the block damaged in the starter area it makes it ??????????? to use that block.

Snoop around and scare up a good block that's not cracked in the main webs that has good cylinders. MAKE SURE that the decks are good and have not been cut already. (pistons should come to the top of the bores FLUSH when at TDC.

You can safely cut these .010"-.015" and use the thicker Felpro gasket

Refurbish the block (read this as rings bearings and such) get a set of Clearwater heads and bolt on and stuff it back in the truck.

Should give you many many K miles.

Missy

rameye
09-12-2011, 15:03
Buy a new motor from AMG...do want to keep this rig running for ...lets say 5 years??? then it's worth it.

Unless your a whiz like Robyn (she is good) just do a swap and have a bullet proof truck that will serve your business well.

I found that having a shop rebuild the engine the way I thought it should be done was the same if not more than a new motor. By doing this you get the advantage of the improved block design and metallurgy.

Read Robyn's sagas of all her used blocks and stuff..she found stuff wrong that I probably would have missed....

My .02

rustyk
09-12-2011, 17:21
I second the AMG suggestion. You don't say where you're located, but I have the engine replaced by my AMG available cheap - N. Central FL.

mobilevet
09-12-2011, 19:50
I second the AMG suggestion. You don't say where you're located, but I have the engine replaced by my AMG available cheap - N. Central FL.

I'm in Alabama south of Tuscaloosa... you got the motor there or took the truck there and they did it?

mobilevet
09-12-2011, 19:59
Buy a new motor from AMG...do want to keep this rig running for ...lets say 5 years??? then it's worth it.

6.2 or go back with the 6.5? Just wondering if I could get better MPG with the 6.2 - and if it would be less expensive???

Re: Robyn - sounds like fun, but I don't think I have the time or expertise to pull it off... I'd end up having to rely on someone else to find the block and evaluate it which is still sort of like a shot in the dark around here... that's why unless I just R&R the heads then it will be some sort of new lower-end.

any thoughts on this place? www.6-5liter.com