PDA

View Full Version : $10,000 dollars later

letsgo
09-14-2011, 05:08
Have just spent $10,000 on my Duramax diesel 2500HD in Canada, (C$1.10 = US$1.00).

It cost $4,200+ tax for 8 new injectors installed. Included in the price was an oil change and filter, fuel filter, anti freeze, and anything other unanticipated parts. A 12month GMC warranty on LABOUR and PARTS was included.

Canadian prices ranged from $4,200 plus tax to $6,100 plus parts, plus tax. The GMC, Truck Service Manager, Sebastian, at Humberview Truck Center in Toronto, quoted a price of $4,200 plus tax and said he would honor the same price for any other customer.

I was ready to drive to the states for a low price of $3800 BUT there was no GMC warranty. I have used diesel additive since new, and this will be the third set in the truck since new.

A new transfer case installed $2800+tax GMC 3yr parts warranty, went into self destruct mod at 110km/h = 65mph sure I got ripped off here.

$1800+ tax chassis work, alignment, brakes, drive shaft yoke.

JUST LIKE A NEW TRUCK. And the gas mileage has increased.

drive safe

More Power
09-14-2011, 13:25
How many kilometers are on your truck? Do you routinely use a Duramax performance product? How often do you replace the fuel filter?

$10k sucks... But, the alternative is either buy another used truck (with potentially its own set of problems) or buy a new truck. Has anyone seen the price of new trucks?

I have 91,000 miles on my 2001 GMC, and haven't had any injector problems yet... But, I expect the day will come...

Thanks for your report.

Jim

letsgo
09-14-2011, 18:15
the truck has about 150,000 miles, with about 80,000 miles of towing, the truck average 10,000 to 16,000 miles per year, the fuel filter was always replaced at approxiately 12,000 miles (filters use to clog up by 15,000 miles, dirty fuel was the problem when I first bought the truck) and synthetic oils and grease have always been used after the 15,000 mile breakin period. The first set of fuel injectors were installed in California at 61,000miles (there was a real shortage of 8 injectors around year 2006, had to phone GMC Canada to get priority delivery in 3 days (GMC USA didn't have any) , spent 10 days driving all over CA. in a free GMC courtesy car, the Banks was installed 2 years ago, only use levels , 3 for driving and 2 for towing, but right now 2 is getting better fuel milage (have to use up the 76 gal to get a close to accurate mpg). level 6 is scary fast used it once. (couldnt afford to drive the truck in level 6) oh and I'm on my 3rd set of universals.
love the Duramax. rust free.
Duramax in Toronto is MSLP $68,000
DRIVE SAFE

Gapper_ca
09-16-2011, 15:40
Ah well welcome to Canada! So do you use any fuel additive at all? Have seen lots of diesel engines develope problems due to poor fuel and verylow lubricity in the fuel. i have run fuel conditioner in my 6.5 and now in my Dmax. change my filter 2 times per year, beforewinter and again in spring...

know lots that change filters every other oil change on the 6.5 and have not touched them yet...

not sure but have heard that fuel quality in the USA is more suspect then up here, but all depends on where you buy it i guess. but i have noticed between brands a huge difference, so i avoid the poor quality ones,

letsgo
09-17-2011, 16:06
have allways used diesel fuel additive since new one that increased cetain, prevented jelling or wax separation and because there is so much oxygen and water (condensate) in diesel I wanted an anti fungi preventer ( in 2002 I KEPT 3 5gal diesel containers in the back of the truck for 3 months with NO ADDITIVE in the fuel, wound up with fungus growing inside), the major topics when I first joined this web sit were diesel additives, air filters, fuel filters, sound systems, injectors, best tires.
drive safe

Mark Rinker
09-19-2011, 04:59
NOW might be a great time to add additional filtration and a lift pump to your 2002 with a high mile high pressure (injector) pump.

If you travel alot, there is little you can do to ensure consistant and clean fuel - other than fuel at reputabe and high volume sources.

Best of luck. My guess is this set of injectors will last a very long time, compared to the others.

crafty
09-29-2011, 11:51
At a booth at the International Plowing Match last week an Ottawa dealer had a 2011 Silverado Duramax Crew Cab, lised at $64,000 on sale for $53,800. It sure sounded like a great deal if I had that much money to spare.:):):)

tbrowne
10-08-2011, 15:28
The LB7 injectors were a flawed design and there have been many problems. No amount of filtration or additives will prevent injector problems in these engines. GM admitted there were problems early on and extended the warranty to 7 yrs. or 200,000 miles which ever came first. That was a noble gesture but it isn't much help those still driving the trucks. The LLY and later engines have improved injectors, so you might want to trade up before buying another set of injectors.