PDA

View Full Version : New FSD cooler design found, check it out

john8662
01-29-2004, 08:03
I found this interesting, a new FSD cooler design, and its not too pricey either.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33553&item=2457120032

gmctd
01-29-2004, 08:45
Hmmmm...who do we know in Bozeman Mont, that hasn't beeen keeping up with FSD\PMD\Cooler info on the Page?

cm/watt.

MTTwister
01-29-2004, 09:13
Their other auction item is a Water Block Polar flow cooler - for a computer chip, But what if you could use that to cool the FSD?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3455760048&category=3673

http://www.horseofiron.com/computer-products/water-blocks.asp

"This is the PolarFLO Universal Water Block Kit. Weight: 10.9oz Size: 3.25"L x 2.60"W Height: 2.43" w/Barbs 1.13" w/o barbs Fits AMD (socket 462) and Intel (socket 478) processors. The kit includes all mounting hardware, (5) hose clamps and a Y-hose splitter. Retail price $54.99."

??? edit - a mere 80mi west of Bozo...

BigDiesel
01-29-2004, 09:31
I would have to say that their cooler doesn't have the surface area required to cool as well as others on the market. Better than nothing though.

freddys
01-29-2004, 11:45
The surface area is about 3 time to small but if you could get a larger one or make one they do work very well.

freddy

pannhead
01-29-2004, 16:36
i too think it sucks....stubby short fins dont cut it...i'd rather have mine on the pump than on that thing...just my opinion

john8662
01-29-2004, 16:58
I'll agree with the size thing, but the FSD (beta version) that I got from pannhead works very well, just don't like where it mounts in relation to the air flow (on the intake). I liked the idea of the FSD cooler on ebay, but it does need to be a little bigger to cool efficiently.

gmctd
01-29-2004, 18:10
Being informed is what the Page is all about.

I'd like to see more posts of that nature - the instant review and critique can point to a good product, as well as preventing dissatisfaction with an unsuitable product.

kowsoc
01-29-2004, 20:17
Yes!! The thing is much too small and those short fat fins don't create much surface area to radiate heat. Location is also bad. Stop for a coffee, come back to the truck and the FSD will be at about 200 degrees of heat soak! :eek:

Only good thing I see is the new FSD! :D

C.K. Piquup
01-30-2004, 05:04
My first impression is that the fins are too thick.Thinner fins would absorb and dissipate heat faster.Next,although the verticle position will allow more air-flow,it`s location doesn`t.I also wonder if it will hold up to vibration.Notice the lower mounting holes in the thinner area.Size small,too.I hate to be so critical of someone elses effort.It`s still a great effort and is better than what GM stuck us with.Now if it`s a good bit cheaper than the one we are familiar with,that would help.By the time you buy the driver and cooler,it`s alotta dough.

FinSub97
02-06-2004, 12:14
The design is simply poor. As mentioned previously, fins are both too thich and short. But the biggest flaw in the design lies in orientation of the fins. It would not require a scientist to see that hot air tends to rise. In order to establish a sufficient cooling of the fins the orientation should be rotated 90 degrees to let hot air convect away from the cooler. How difficult is that to see? This manifests only how gullible truckers can be seriously fooled by these do-it-yourself-engineers, who, by using preudo-scientific approach powered by 3D CAD pictures, try to pass a message that they know what they are talking about. Unfortunate fact is that those gadgets can and will do more harm than you ever bargained for.

FinSub97
02-07-2004, 02:35
In addition to those comments I made, there is one more drawback in the design I forgot to mention. Heat dissipation by radiation is a function of temperature and emissivity. Shiny objects like clearcut aluminium (like in those pictures) has an emissivity of the order of a few per cent, typically 5% whereas totally black objects radiate heat 100% or so. So, making it black would enhance the heat dissipation by a factor of 20. Why didn't those make-believe engineers thought of that? The reason for that is the same as to why the fins are stubby. Money (and probably blissful ignorance). Anodization costs money and it cuts back your profit margin. Moreover, it is cheap to mill down a cooler from a thin aluminium block which results short fins and inadequate cooling performance.

gmctd
02-07-2004, 08:21
Several points of interest may be noted, but not intended as promotional.

This Cooler was designed for forced air-over operation, where the fins are orientated to take advantage of the blast from the coolant fan.
Static condition (no forced air) would require vertical fins, taking advantage of convection as heated air rises.

Heat sinks are rated in thermal dissipation per unit area, as in watts per square inch in a flat sink.
Adding fins increases effective radiating area without increasing flat dimensions.
Size may be derated for forced air-over operation.
No fan or blower requires larger heat sink.

Anodization, which is also thermally and electrically insulative, prevents oxidation, and is available clear, black, and colors.

Black anodization will radiate heat more efficiently than clear into ambient which is cooler than the radiating device.

Black anodization will also very efficiently absorb heat in ambient which is hotter than radiating device.

Electronic devices are usually rated for safe operation at X number of degrees above ambient temperature.

Any device requiring intense hi wattage thermal dissipation is usually fastened to the anodized heatsink in an area which has been milled, exposing the raw aluminum or copper to promote maximum thermal transfer.
(Yes, kiddies, there are copper heat sink devices - aluminum is cheap!).

A smaller heatsink could be more easily mounted at the radiator support bulkhead, where positive air flow-thru is available, as in the hole behind the headlites.

Could also be mounted in the passenger-side fender where engine intake flow would ensure air-over operation under less contaminative conditions.

I do not run an external heatsink, but if I did, this particular version would not seem effective mounted anywhere in the engine compartment.
The 6.5LTD engine is a very effective heat generator\radiator.