PDA

View Full Version : Dome light won't work

ktingey
09-16-2011, 10:35
I have a 2003 GMC 2500 HD crewcab duromax. For some reason about a month ago the dome lights stopped coming on when I open the doors. I checked all the usual stuff. I also disconnected the batteries for about an hour. The lights work when I use the push buttons next to the light. They just won't come on when the doors are open. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Inspector
09-16-2011, 10:51
If you have the LT with the DIC you may have to go into the menu and turn them back on.
Denny

DennisG01
09-16-2011, 12:22
Do you have pins or maybe just metal contacts (I don't have your model year, so I'm not sure)? The pins might be sticking or the contacts could be dirty.

DmaxMaverick
09-16-2011, 15:05
Do you have pins or maybe just metal contacts (I don't have your model year, so I'm not sure)? The pins might be sticking or the contacts could be dirty.

No push-button pins on 1999+ (GMT800) trucks. The switch is in the door latch. You can fiddle with it, by using a screwdriver or similar tool to "latch" the door without closing it, then pull the handle to open it. Try moving it slowly in both directions to eliminate a poor switch contact. If all of the other RAP accessories work, and you don't find a poor connection, it's probably the headlamp switch (dimmer/dome). The switch can be disassembled and cleaned/inspected. They aren't too costly if you don't get them from the dealer.

dunny96
09-19-2011, 09:04
On my '06, there is a button next to the headlight switch. One for the rear cargo light and one for the domelights. I had accidently pushed mine while cleaning and it took me forever to figure out why my domelights would not come on. Now, they work. :D

ktingey
09-19-2011, 14:13
Thanks everyone. I've tried everything which each of you have mentioned with no success. Any other suggestions?

ktingey
09-20-2011, 05:52
OK, I spent some time last night looking at all the fuses again. I found that the TBC 2B, truck body controller fuse was blown. I replaced it and that fixed the dome light issue!! This fuse is in the instrument panel fuse block. Thanks everyone for your input!

DennisG01
09-20-2011, 06:14
No push-button pins on 1999+ (GMT800) trucks. The switch is in the door latch.

Gotcha - thanks for the correction, Mav.

Ktingey: Thanks for posting your findings. I'm sure this will benefit others in the future.

Robyn
09-23-2011, 07:27
It amazes me as to how complex these engineers can make something as simple as a dome light circuit.

Used to be a simple ground circuit that was completed when either the dash lamp dimmer wheel was turned all the way, or a door was opened and the little switch grounded the circuit.

Now they have obviously morphed this stuff into a far more complex system.

The GMT 400 trucks finally got away from the little metal ground switches that rusted and then stopped working, and these were pretty trouble free.

Glad you found the trouble.

Missy

Lantley
10-31-2013, 04:19
I have an 07 classic crew cab. My dome light was not working. I did the usual check latches etc. But thanks to Ktingey's post I was also able to track my problem to the body control fuse 2C?
Anyway I was stumped until I came across this old thread thanks

DirtyDieselGirl03
03-12-2015, 19:45
Thank You so much ktingey! I had checked every light fuse I could find then I found this post and checked it. Boom it was fixed!