PDA

View Full Version : STUCK waste gate (was: Checkout of 93 6.5TD turbo)

azblazor
05-13-2004, 20:04
My son and I have put a 93 k2500 6.5TD back on the road after an accident. The passenger front side was caved in and the frame was bent. On the turbo, the bracket that holds the can with a spring in it was bent almost 90 degrees. We straightened the bracket, and have been driving the truck since the frame and sheetmetal repairs were made.

Question: what is the range of movement or a simple check to see if the waste gate and attached rod has enough (or correct) travel.

The truck is stock and does not yet have a EGT or boost gauge.

[ 05-14-2004, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: azblazor ]

C.K. Piquup
05-14-2004, 03:14
I`m not sure of the actual measurement,but actual performance will tell.You should be getting boost at about 1,500rpm and here the turbo spool(whine),that`s your bottom indicator.Then if power drops off with constant throttle,that`ll tell you if your travel is reduced.Or better yet.Mash it at cruising speed(2,500rpm+/-),see if it`s flat on power.Boost guage will,as you know,answer these questions.You could replace the rod with an adjustable one.Not sure if GM offers part seperately.An aftermarket adjustable rod(like Banks`)would be an inexpensive solution and gain you more"tunability",along with the guages.

azblazor
05-14-2004, 13:16
Thanks for the reply. I am planning on buying a adjustable controller....or making one, I seem to remember remember someone describing how they made one....is this in an article or do I just have to search?

New information....we took off the old canister and rod...the rod was completely immovable in canister. I was playing with the lever that actually moves the waste gate and IT MOVED BACKWARDS (towards the rear of the vehicle) AND STUCK THERE ????????? What in the world......I have tried prying it, tapping on it,etc... any options besides disassembly????????????????????