PDA

View Full Version : Changed Injection pump; How to bleed lines

z28cp
09-20-2011, 12:16
Hi folks. I have changed the injection pump on my 92 Dually. Have left the lines at the injectors loose. Was able to crank a few times before batteries gave up (Had been sitting for several months, so no surprise there. Batteries now charged, ready to try again.)

The little bit I was able to crank it, there was no fuel out of the lines yet. Does this typically take a while?

What about the electrical connections on top of the pump? I have them all unhooked at this time, so as not to let it try to actually start. Do i need to have any of them hooked up for this bleeding process to work?

Thanks in advance!
DaveZ.

Subzilla
09-20-2011, 12:21
You should have the fuel shutoff solenoid connected or no fuel will flow.

With a full IP change and with empty lines, it may take a minute or so (not continuous, don't overheat the starter) of cranking.

When I've accidently airlocked due to filter changes, I've only had to crack 3 or 4 injectors and cranked it for maybe 20 seconds to get it refire.

DmaxMaverick
09-20-2011, 13:57
Correct. The ESO must be connected or no fuel will flow into the pump, and out to the injectors. It won't hurt anything to connect all of the pump electrical. Also, if the injector lines are loose, it won't develop the pressure required to pop the injectors (no start).

Do this:

Loosen the injection pump fuel inlet line. Crank until you get good fuel flow there (this primes the line to the pump). Tighten the line. Crank until you get some fuel to 2-3 injector lines (don't worry about bubbles, only some dribbling/weeping fuel). Tighten all of them. Crank until it starts. If it doesn't try to start within 2 attempts, loosen injector lines on only one side (no need to do them all). Do not crank for more than about 20 seconds at a time, with about 2 minutes between attempts. You may need that starter for something later.

z28cp
09-20-2011, 14:15
Well, that certainly makes sense. With power, fuel will flow; without, fuel doesn't flow. DOH!!

Thanks folks. ASSumed it was something simple. Just hadn't thought it through enough.

DaveZ.