PDA

View Full Version : EGR intake gaskets?

Subzilla
09-20-2011, 18:39
On my 94. I plan to disable the EGR by plugging the vacuum line. Does it matter which intake manifold gaskets I have? EGR port block-off plate or not?

DmaxMaverick
09-20-2011, 19:55
Not if you are using a block-off plate. It's better if you just get a non-EGR intake, though. Take advantage of what you can, when you can. If you are going through the effort, do it right. If you continue to use the EGR intake, it's best to just plug the vacuum line, and leave the rest alone. This is for off road use only, of course.

stezloco
02-23-2012, 05:16
sorry to butt in here fellas but i'm just putting my manifold back on and have read in the 'bible' that theres 2 types of gasket , none egr and egr with the hole punched .ive got an f code engine without the egr kit/no hole in the manifold for it,but have egr gaskets in my gasket set...does it matter? the gaskets i took off, one of the metal blanking pads for non-egr engines was missing and all i could see wrong was a soot blackened area on the alloy manifold where it wouldve been.On that basis and no warning in the manual, I'm going to assume therefore it doesnt get hot enough to melt a hole in the manifold at that point???....should i be worried?

Kennedy
02-23-2012, 08:26
Best approach is non EGR manifold.

Second best is to block at the head with the gasket. Try a Fel Pro gasket set for a 6.2 J code engine. It should have a plate.

The key is to keep the exhaust out of the manifold altogether.

BrIONwoshMunky
02-23-2012, 15:46
As an aside, I just bought the Fel-Pro gasket kit for a J-code engine at the local parts shop, and it cost a whopping $12.50.

stezloco
02-24-2012, 02:32
$12.50.....Thats great, but in effect ,i'm driving a 'foreign' car and parts are harder to find and much more expensive here in the UK than where you can get yours from,with your free postage and all ...a lot of U.S suppliers wont ship out of the country, which in itself is a real pain,or they charge extortionate amounts to send out the smallest of items, so i'm always looking for parts ahead of the game....its no wonder most people here drive japanese.....
anyway getting back to the point...i installed the inlet manifold with the egr gaskets on my non egr manifold and will keep an eye on it.going to carry on putting the rest of the ancills back on today.
dont know if this engine has been apart before because all the gaskets ive come across are really thin and seem to be factory fit...you know , those ones that are wafer thin and dark brown?? probably that assembly paste i forget the name of....
cant wait to get this thing running again, its got work waiting......

Kennedy
02-24-2012, 12:58
You could always set the manifold up on a milling machine and mill the EGR ports to a round form and install a frost plug.

john8662
02-25-2012, 19:35
I use the 6.2 J gaskets on everything.

I like the little blockers because they do a good job of blocking off the ports in the heads. The gaskets w/o the metal blockers can leak exhaust in this area. This is especially important on high boosted applications where your've got high drive pressure on the turbo (backpressure, more source for leaks).

The metal plates were a great idea. Original GM gaskets for F 6.5's had these plates on them too.

As far as milling out anything, I'd mill out the head itself to put a plug in the head, then the intake gasket wouldn't matter at all.

J