PDA

View Full Version : How to clean nasty intake manifold

Subzilla
09-21-2011, 18:52
What is the best way to degrease and shine up my gunked-up, oily, grimey, greasy, dull looking aluminum intake manifold?

I'm spraying degreaser and brushing it but it just seems like I"m just spreading the grease around like peanut butter.

DmaxMaverick
09-21-2011, 19:37
That's a good question. We all talk about our grimy intake manifolds, but rarely discuss what to do about it. I've tried a bunch of things. A solvent tank works, but I don't like to sludge up my tank with that stuff. In the end, a tub of good ol' #2 works best. Soak it, scrub it, soak it, rinse it. Clean it up with some brake cleaner and it'll look like new. Dispose of your new-found road oil responsibly (works good for filling potholes in your paved drive, or take it to a recycler).

DennisG01
09-22-2011, 08:59
Mark, are you doing this with the intake on the engine? Lot's of clean rags will be your best friends - spray/brush a small area and wipe it with a clean section of the rag. Do another area and use another CLEAN section of the rag. Don't skimp on the rags - otherwise you're dragging dirt from the dirty rag back onto the intake.

In the end, it's only going to get so good - because of the rough surface of the intake. If you want it shiny, you need to sand it smooth, first. Or, take it off and either paint it or drop it off for powder coating - they'll do the cleaning/sanding. It's not too expensive - there's a place near me that does stuff like this, usually for about $20 - although that's the "after hours, cash" price.

But, now that will just make you want to shine everything else up, too! Suggestion... clean it up a little and then just be done with it.

Subzilla
09-22-2011, 10:24
It's off the engine. I'm reallly more concerned with the gunk build-up on the inside. But making the outside nice and pretty is good, too. As I'm cleaning the inside, the greasy smudges collect on the outside which makes it look quite nasty.

Someone told about using oven cleaner on it, then putting it in a sealed bag. May try that.

Know what you mean about wanting to shine everything else up. Don't want to get into this on this beater truck. I do like for it to at least look a little tidy.

Thanks for the replies!

convert2diesel
09-22-2011, 12:15
Mark:

Don't know if your still making bio, but by far the best de-greaser is the glycerin created in the process. Fill up a pan with fresh glycerin and leave the intake in it over night. You will be amazed.

Bill

phantom309
09-22-2011, 13:37
5 gal pail, water and 25% muriatic acid, leave it sit for a couple of hours,.
works for me, then off to the local self serve car wash,.
works for me
yrmv
Nick

Robyn
09-22-2011, 16:58
Remove the intake. :)

Take it somewhere that you don't mind making a mess.
Spray with GUNK engine bright, let soak and spray off with water in and out.

Dry off and spray it with the acid wheel brightener stuff, let foam up and rinse off.

Hot water works better (Pressure/Hot washer)

All better now. :D

Missy

Subzilla
09-25-2011, 11:46
Got it clean enough! Yes, I still dabble in biodiesel so I had the parts soaking in glycerin for 4 days. That definitely helped. I got the residual grease off with brake cleaner.

Not showroom shiny but it's good enough.

Thanks!