PDA

View Full Version : Blowout Tube - 03 LB7

Panther
09-26-2011, 09:47
I have a 2003 LB7 that has oil sprayed all over the front of the motor. It appears to be coming out of this metal tube that come down the front of the motor and drips into/near the fan and creating a messy spray across the front of the engine compartment.

the metal tube seems to go up into a hose that follows the pasangers side of the motor, under the air intake and seems to plug into the turbo (not 100% sure).

I only have 96K miles on this, the thought is there are seals inside of the turbo for the oil lubrication systems that are leaking and being push out through this blowout valve

ANY THOUGHTS?

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2011, 09:53
[my reply, copied from your other post]

There is no "blow out" tube for the turbo (the entire system closed). A turbo seal leak will send the oil into the intake, or burn it out the exhaust, and all oil plumbing is at the rear of the engine. The only forward turbo plumbing is the CAC pipes (obviously) and the coolant return line (runs behind the fan pulley to the thermostat housing pipe).

The only thing that might meet that description is the crankcase vent tube. If it's blowing a lot of anything out of it, check your oil level. Odds are, it's overfull, and you're "making" oil. Problem is, it isn't oil. It's fuel. Likely from a leaking/cracked fuel injector return line, or injector(s). Check the engine oil for fuel content.

Panther
09-27-2011, 19:30
So the tube itself is metal along the front of the engine. It starts in the center, front end of the motor intertwined with the pully assembly, snacks up and to the left (facing the truck) (the tubing is still in front of motor) then it converts to a rubber tubing follows the heads, snakes up and over then under the intake breather (i added the K&N) and then down into the top of the motor. looks like it is plugged right into the intake cover or turbo.

once upon a time when i complained to the GM dealership that was doing the free oil changes about the oil mess he suggested that i was overflow from the oil job. it didnt sound like it was coming from this tube but someother spot and was more relevant to them removing the oil. I think he was trying to BS me and was actually partially correct.

how do we get a chematic of the engine so i can show someone the actual part?

rapidoxidationman
09-27-2011, 20:06
Pictures are worth a lot. Can you post one up?

BTW, are you using a K&N air filter in that intake?

This could get interesting...

DmaxMaverick
09-27-2011, 21:46
THERE IS ONLY ONE TUBE LIKE YOU DESCRIBE.

It originates from the valve cover, under your intake plumbing. If you are seeing it come from somewhere else, you are mistakenly tracing the wrong line. The turbo HAS NO external vent, drain, or anything other than what I described above. None. The turbo oil drain goes back to the crankcase. So, if it's draining excessively, it goes back to where it came from. If it's leaking internally, it goes into the intake or exhaust, and nowhere else (short of an external leak, which will puddle on the ground).

If you overfill the crankcase (too much engine oil), it will puke out this tube, because it's the crankcase vent. No other reason. If you didn't overfill the crankcase, something is. That something is, and must be, fuel or coolant. The fuel can only (in 99.9% of the time) come from the injectors or injector return lines. If you have coolant leaking into the crankcase, the source and indication of it will be obvious. There are no other options for what you are seeing. A schematic won't help.