PDA

View Full Version : oil pressure problem help

fixitman4710
09-26-2011, 17:07
hey guys i know i have been asking alot of questions,but im new to
6.5 diesel. i have 98 k3500 6.5 turbo diesel 170,000 miles.
i changed my oil havoline 15w40 diesel oil and replaced oil filter
and pulled intake and replaced the oil pressure switch. my oil pressure
cold was 50 and 40 going down the road. sometimes when i stopped
my oil pressure would drop to 20 psi and sometimes would drop down
to 5 psi and bring on my check guage light. today i cleaned the radiator
oil cooler, condenser coil with coil cleaner. now my problem is worse.
my oil pressure cold is 35 and now 20 going down the road and 0
when i stop. did i put a bad pressure switch in my truck. is there
a place to check true oil pressure without pulling intake again.
the truck runs fine, so i dont want to screw it up. could my oil cooler
be clogged internally. i bought the truck to work out of 3 months
ago and got screwed so to speak, because had to replace tranny.
please can someone put me in right direction.

thanks a bunch for any and all help
steve n.carolina

DmaxMaverick
09-26-2011, 20:07
You need to verify the pressure with a mechanical gage.

If your pressure was normal before, and suddenly dropped to what you are seeing now (actual pressure, verified), and the oil cooler is plugged, the cooler is not the problem. Whatever gave up and plugged the cooler will be your problem. A plugged cooler is the LAST symptom of a much larger problem. A better start to look for a problem would be to drain the oil and see what's in it. It is much more likely the pressure regulator has failed (for example), than a plugged cooler.

fixitman4710
09-27-2011, 03:59

If your pressure was normal before, and suddenly dropped to what you are seeing now (actual pressure, verified), and the oil cooler is plugged, the cooler is not the problem. Whatever gave up and plugged the cooler will be your problem. A plugged cooler is the LAST symptom of a much larger problem. A better start to look for a problem would be to drain the oil and see what's in it. It is much more likely the pressure regulator has failed (for example), than a plugged cooler.
i did pull the intake and change the oil pressure switch with one
from advance. i just changed the oil and havent changed the filter
yet. i couldnt get the stupid thing off. had to buy a filter socket.
my problem started when i changed the oil and filter. i used fram
filter and del 15w40 diesel oil. the pressure regulator is in the oil
pump correct. could the bypass valve be stuck open. just asking?
thanks for the help
steve

fixitman4710
09-28-2011, 17:23

if the oil pump is bad , can the oil pan be removed without removing
the transmission?
thanks

steve

DmaxMaverick
09-28-2011, 21:44
if the oil pump is bad , can the oil pan be removed without removing
the transmission?
thanks

steve

Yes. Easier actually, if you have to lift the engine (the rear is still attached at the tranny mounts). An oil pump (only) failure is so rare, you will likely be facing whatever killed the pump, if it has failed. Until you get a mechanical gage to confirm the pressure, I wouldn't go there just yet. There are so many other, more likely, reasons for the pressure to drop. Take one step at a time, and eliminate the most common and easiest first. I suggest going back to the time it dropped pressure and repeat the steps, inspecting everything along the way.

JohnC
09-29-2011, 08:48
Fix your oil cooler problem and the oil pressure will likely take care of itself.

I'm closing this thread and adding a link to your oil cooler thread. (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=39633)