PDA

View Full Version : 85 C10 base instrument ribbon and schematic?

BadDog
10-03-2011, 22:52
Well, the C10 is on the road and running. Spent this evening running down a number of electrical gremlins, mostly resolved by cleaning grounds and such (dome/ctsy lights, back-up, tag light, etc).

But I can't get the gage cluster lights working because the ribbon is burnt pretty bad in the main cluster lighting trace. Burn't so bad there is near an inch of copper trace just gone, and it delaminated over twice that. Unfortunately the only schematics I have are for later R/V models, and the 6.2 diagrams don't agree with the main cluster plug pin-out. Anyone know off hand what models etc I should be looking in for a donor cluster/ribbon? Might try to find one with basic gages. Looks like wire color remained consistent, so could presumably repin for other models if I found something that would work. I think the only diesel specific feature (that matters) is the "water in fuel", which could be re-routed/isolated, or maybe transferred (haven't looked that close).

So, anyone know what years and types of vehicles provide a drop in?

Anyone got an 85 6.2 base model gage cluster schematic they care to share?

DmaxMaverick
10-04-2011, 00:20
There's an 85 schematic at the "Truck Stuff Pics" link in my sig.

I ended up jumping wires on several of my circuits. It wasn't too bad to do with some 18-22 awg wire and a pencil-tip iron. The alternative was over $100 for a IP/PCB replacement, ~20 years ago. I don't know if they are available, now.

DieselDavy
10-04-2011, 12:02
BadDog,
I'm with Mav. Just take a soldering iron, some wire (18-22 will be fine for feeding each dash bulb) and go tap into the traces to jump over these burned out places. I've done this before and it works. You may need to add a spot of solder for the bulbs to make contact with, but otherwise it should work great!
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Dave