PDA

View Full Version : DIC Oil Change Monitor

EdHale
10-05-2011, 03:38
What inputs is this oil change reminder using to come up with when to change your oil? I don't follow it and change mine and the filter every 5,000 miles, but I can't help but wonder what info this indicator is processing to come up with the % remaining to change.

Thanks.

joed
10-05-2011, 06:19
According to my service manual, it's based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and NOT mileage.

I know on my wife's 05 Equinox, the calculated interval is shorter in the winter months - probably because of shorter trips with the engine running colder.

Based on the system, it seems I could go 10,000+ miles on my duramax between changes. I can't bring myself to do it - the oil just gets too black too soon.

Eliminating the EGR may be in my future ;) - should help the oil stay cleaner.

Joe.

NutNbutGMC
10-05-2011, 17:04
According to my service manual, it's based on engine revolutions and engine temperature, and NOT mileage.

I know on my wife's 05 Equinox, the calculated interval is shorter in the winter months - probably because of shorter trips with the engine running colder.

Based on the system, it seems I could go 10,000+ miles on my duramax between changes. I can't bring myself to do it - the oil just gets too black too soon.

Eliminating the EGR may be in my future ;) - should help the oil stay cleaner.

Joe.How does one go about resetting the oil indicator after a change of oil?

bobt
10-05-2011, 22:16
On my '09, with four vertical buttons, you go to the oil % remaining setting and then push and hold the bottom button which is the reset button until it resets.
Bob

joed
10-06-2011, 05:40
How does one go about resetting the oil indicator after a change of oil?

For my 06, it's described in the owner's manual:

Turn the key to the on/run position
Scroll the DIC to show Oil Life, if not already there
Press fully and release the accelerator pedal 3 times in 5 secs
The Oil Life should then show reset

I've found it works better to hold the pedal to the floor briefly before releasing - it doesn't seem to respond if you floor it and release it too rapidly.

Hope that helps.

Joe.

NutNbutGMC
10-06-2011, 17:26
Thank you gentlemen... Much appreciated...