PDA

View Full Version : Highway Trooper Trailer tires 235 85 16R load range G

cowboywildbill
10-12-2011, 07:06
On a trip to Quarter Horse Congress in Columbus,OH. Did all of our pre trip checks including tire condition pressure ect. 100 miles into the trip it was cool out 50s. Blew right rear trailer tire. Changed it out with new spare. Went about 200 more miles only 90 miles or so from Columbus and blew the right front tire. I had stopped 30 miles before that and checked them and felt the sidewalls of which none were hot, just the normal temp you would expect while towing. Our trailer wasn't loaded with any horses just a golf cart.
We had to get a fleet service to come out and bring two firestone tires. $530.00 later we are back on the road and we made it to the Fair Grounds in Columbus. The old tires were 4 years old and only had 4500 miles on them. I did not see any dry rot on them. The treads just seperated and let go. They are the two tires that get the sun, the left side faces a wall and doesn't get any direct sunlight and not covered. "My Bad" Maybe that played a role in it. The axles are running true and no scuffing on the tires. Although there was just a hint of a little wear on the inside tread on both axles on that side like the camber is a little off. We have never hit anything or grabbed a curb with any of the trailer wheels. I was told the Highway Troopers were Chinese made and very often fail. They were the tires that came on the trailer, I guess they put the cheapest thing they can on them. It is a Bison Stratus 40ft LQ horse with 12 ft. super slide. It weighs in at 14,500 empty. That is 4,000 lbs more than they claimed it weighs.
I gusee we will see if the other two tires last the trip back home? I have one new spare load range G and another spare same size but load range E that came off of another one of our trailers that our friends brought out for us when they came here yesterday.
I guess we will see how it goes. Anyone else have any experiance with Hwy Troopers? or should I say Hway Bloopers?

Yukon6.2
10-13-2011, 08:29
Hi
Chines tires are just not worth the risk.I have a tire shop on the alaska highway,and i see the chines tires crap out way befor their wore out.
A couple of years ago,one of the firewood sellers from here got a new set for his truck.He is allways overloaded.He said he got a great deal on his winter tires.First one blew within a week,he got a new one.Then it got cold,they faired a little better during the winter,he blew the next one a few mounths later,no more warenty,Then spring came,the two back ones went within a month of the snow melting,He showed up with a bunch of used tires,all diferent makes,we put a toyo,and a bridgestone on the rear and he wore those out to the cords.
The sad thing is you have to watch out for big name tires that are now made in china,i'v seen Hankooks made in china.
You really have to search hard to find a trailer tire that is made anywhere besides china.
I'v seen some that don't say made in china,but say made in PRC.
I'd run some LT's from Michelin,or Goodyear has some tough ones.
Thomas

cowboywildbill
10-13-2011, 17:55
Thanks for the reply. The fleet service brought me two firestone 235 85 16r load range G
tires. I guess they are OK. I think I'll try truck tires next time in load range G.
Would truck tires be better than trailer tires?

JohnC
10-13-2011, 19:16
Would truck tires be better than trailer tires?

Don't try to pick a fight. Ask a religious question instead. ;)

dunny96
10-14-2011, 07:50
There are three items the US State Dept says do not buy from China.
1. medicine
2. fish
3. TIRES

These items are questionable due to their quality!!
IMO, I would stick with a good quality trailer tire instead of a truck tire. Unless you have a truck that runs the same size tire and just swap the wore out truck tires to the trailer to save a little $$.

Yukon6.2
10-14-2011, 08:39
Hi
The only trailer tires i have seen personally that arn't made in china are some Goodyears,made in New Zealand,and i'v heard that Goodyear has brought thier manufacturing back to North America.And Maxxis which are made in Taiwian,and those were allways made there,not a bad tire.

Myself,i would not buy a new trailer tire.I run used truck tires on my car hauler,any make so long they don't originate in china.I haul some wicked loads on that trailer,it has 7000 lb axles.Biggest load was 24 50 gal drums of gas,200 mile trip over our goat trail roads,never have blown a tire,they sit in the sun all the time and in the summer that is 24 hrs a day:rolleyes: I know that they are all old in comarison to the OP's trooper tires.I know one is over 12 years old,with a huge rock hole in it,i used a big steel belted patch on it,It was brand new when the rock killed it.Actually noticed the repared hole this summer,and it wasn't showing any signs of belt shift yet,it's a Goodyear.
If i had a fancy travle trailer i wouldn't be using a tire like that,to much expencive stuff around the tires,i'v seen some awfull wheel wells after a tire has shreaded.
I'v been around tires all my life,i use Rema Tip Top tire repairing products.
I have saved myself a ton of money by saving discardes tires to run on my trailers ect.I section my truck tires like Bandag does,and have had Bandag recap tires i have sectioned.
Much like the US State Dept.i will not put a tire on my vehicals that is made in china.
I bought a used Tanker truck,one of the selling features was new tires,they were made in china.I told them i didn't want them,i said put some others on,or deduct the cost of the rears.Ended up with a discont for the tires,they now sit in my compond hoping someone will want them,2 years so far.
,Hard to find stuff not made in china,really have to pay attention almost everything seems to be made there sad sad sad :(
Thomas

cowboywildbill
10-14-2011, 16:27
Thanks, I didn't realize it but the firestone transforce tires that we had put on are load range E not G. I looked at them when I got home. I ran them hard for 425 miles and they did OK. The other two China tires made it also. Apparently the load capacity of the Firestone E's is the same as the Hiway Bloopers in G range or close?? and 10 ply. Oh Well. I run just under 15,000 loaded most of the time and 4,200 of that is on the pin. So I guess I'm in the Ball Park.

DickWells
10-15-2011, 18:07
Sorry you had to experience the "Trailer Tire Blues" Bill. You've probably read my "Never will put another trailer tire on a trailer" rant in here, before, so you can see that I totally agree with the others who root for LT tires on a trailer. I think you're right about the new tires being at least equal to the G's that blew, but I'd feel more confident if they were Lt's.
I think that the set of Talon's that I put on in 07 were actually Chinese Goodyears? Lousy excuse for tires, no matter the apllication! The next set (in 08) were Carlisles, and ditto for them. Both sets were trailer tires, so what did I expect, anyway? They were both LR-E's, replacing the D's that the trailer came with, so it's little wonder that my trailer model was noted for tire issues. Live and learn, I guess.
Better luck with your new tires, Bill.

cowboywildbill
10-19-2011, 15:56
Hi Dick, Thanks. yeah I guess it was bound to happen. I am going to save my truck tires from now on and that's what I'll run. I will also carry two spares on rims and at least one extra tire. Even though there are companies that will change them off the rim on a road call It seems like you can't get the 16" sizes you need when your on the road because they are out of stock or don't carry them. It's good to hear from you. I hope you and your family are doing well. Are you getting ready to go South for the winter? After all, way up there in Vermont you only get like maybe two or three weeks of summer from what my wife tells me. LOL
Our Gun club just hosted the Dixie Stampede Cowby shoot "SASS" I think?.
I stopped by the club to get a look at the vendors just before we left on our tire trip. I think they had rain for most of the week while they were shooting. Didn't mean to get off subject but I think I found a use for those chinese tires. Big round target holders LOL

rustyk
10-19-2011, 19:16
After all, way up there in Vermont you only get like maybe two or three weeks of summer from what my wife tells me. LOL

That's the land of fowah seasons: "Three wintuhs and a seveah wintuh!"

cowboywildbill
10-21-2011, 13:19
A-Yeah! INO whuch you mean! Good one LOL
And it gets colder than cold up thare! Cold is spelled CCCCCCCold!

JohnC
10-22-2011, 14:40
11 months of wintah and one month of lousy skiing...

DickWells
10-24-2011, 20:09
Kinda hate-tuh tell-yuh this, but you've got the wrong accent for a Vumonner, guys. It goes more like this. "Koinda boindin ain't it?; havin all this-here danged snow, roight in the middluh Summer. Guess probly it ain't gonna git no better before the middluh next Juloy." We don't use no T's loik they do in New Hampshire. Over there, it's Wintuh, and Summuh, and though we drop a few R's here and there, you won't here a Vt'er dropping an r off of those two words, unless he lives over along the Connecticut River and sharing the border. Sort of the same as Yorkers over along the lake, (Champlain) having the same accent as in Vermont. My mother was born and raised in New Hampshuh, and still called a horse, a hoss, and Winter was Win-tuh, all her life. I lost most of my accent while I worked for Itty-Bitty-Minds, but have gained some back, especially during the 12 years that I ran my gun shop. The colloquialism sort of re-rubbed off on me, since the biggest share of those couple of thousand customers were local.
Talk about being off topic!:D
Had a great Summer and Fall, Bill. Waaaay more than the usual 4 or 5 days of "poor sleadin" that we usually have in early Juloy. Brings up a funny bit of trivia. My great-grandfather frost-bit his fingers, while driving a team down to Wolcott, VT, to fetch the doctor, on the morning of July 12th, 1913! Not that it means anything, but I knew the old man (Josiah Trowe Wells); one of three great-grandparents that I knew. He died when I was allmost 8, in 1947. My mom's maternal grand-parents died when I was 12, and then 13. Well, I guess probly you dun't give a hoot, but it's roight there fer yuh to chew on, loik it or not. In Vummont-speak, if you can coyfer it a-oat.:D

cowboywildbill
10-25-2011, 06:19
You guy's are way Too Funny! I have harnessed up teams and driven them, but never got frostbite. But I have had my toe's and feet stomped on by horses more than enough times. Does that count? LOL! It get's cold enough here once in a while to get frostbite, but it's usually so damp and cold at the same time that your fingers/nose/ toes hurt too bad before you get frostbite that you cover them up if that makes any sense. I hear that extreme dry cold causes frostbite before you know it. But I guess it's time to winterize our trailer and boat. It won't be long till wintuh hits us here too. One thing for sure is I hate it more every year. Send us some of that warm weather up here from Brownsville we will be glad to take it. And we will send you some rain. We had a drought for most of the summer and then 30" of rain. On the bright side at least all of that rain wasn't snow.

DickWells
10-25-2011, 20:04
Guess I forgot to mention that July 12th, 1913 was the day my father was born. Also, misspelled VT-speak cypher. Should have made it soyfer to make it sound right, not coyfer, which would end up sounding like kyfer, and that ain't gonna sound ro-it fer a Vummonner. Does your wife have that accent, still, Bill? You know, the one where we drop off whole sylables. The one that always gets to my N.H. relatives, is when a Vummoner says Saturday night. Comes out like Sad-dee noyt, or in some cases, even worse, like Sad-dee noy-it. We used to get that real strong accent from the kids who came down to Morrisville, from up in the hills and one-room school houses, when it came time for them to attend high-school. I'll never forget how those kids would pronounce Ida May Anderson's (English teacher) name. Like -- "Oyda May Andisin".:D "Can't stay after school (detention) tonoy-it, Mrs. Andisin, cuss I gotta go home and pull tits." (milking cayoos, you know):D Dang, those were fun times!

What were we talking about? Ahh, yes, trailer tires. Ain't gut no use fer um, atall.

cowboywildbill
10-26-2011, 09:39
No she doesn't really have any accent that I can tell. She has been away from Island pond since she was a very young girl. But her family were called border crossers I think. One side of her family were Chippewa and I guess the other side French Canadians that had relocated in Vermont ages ago. A town called Doyon, Vt. is her family name.
Did I spell Chippewa correctly? Oh well.

cowboywildbill
10-28-2011, 16:33
Well I guess all of that joking about winter up in Vermont is comming back to bite us here in the Northern Peoples Republic of Maryland.
They are calling for 4 to 8 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow for us.
It is still October right? I hope this isn't a reflection of what it's going to be like here this wintuh. LOL

DickWells
10-29-2011, 19:02
Well, that'd be Wintuh, over to the east of the Conn. River, and Winner, up our way. But, it probably wouldn't do to joke about it, too much. I'm watching it, here in TX and thinking about what it may mean to you, and everyone north and east of you.

There are a great number of places, up in N.E., where the wash-outs have been fixed up only in what is (probably) a temporary manner, and when that foot, or so, of snow melts, which it no-doubt will, then there's going to be a whole lot of mud where there used to be pavement.

So, brace yourselves and do the best you can, because Mother Nature ain't going to give you a brake, this Winter, it seems.

cowboywildbill
10-30-2011, 02:51
Yeah it's started already. I can't stand the thought of winter anymore.
If we could afford it we would go South in the winter too!
Some day maybe in the next few years maybe we can. Enjoy the warm weather.

carco
11-24-2011, 09:39
I have a customer who has 8 trailers behind IHC box trucks delivering over 48 states running LT235/85/16 tires and a few 17.5 tires with almost no blow outs. Mostly worn out or choppy tread started from sliding tires from braking due to slow or in-op antilocks. They tried a few ST tires that were a total disaster, no tire life @ all!

I run the same LT235/85/16 tires on my tri-axle 38' enclosed with no issues.
I will not run a ST tire.