PDA

View Full Version : Random coolant puking

markelectric
10-12-2011, 18:42
2001 with about 250000 miles and suposedly a new set of injectors at about 180000mi. Running a JK economy tune computer ( never seen the need to flip the switch)

about a month ago I found a puddle of orange under the truck. I refilled it, it puked a little and I refilled it again. Went about a week and a half and it puked a bunch again. 2 more refill sessions and it seems to be holding.

I think I may have been overfilling the tank as I just noticed that the top of the tank does not vent into the fill tube. Looks like a poor design.

I also noticed that the system stays pressureized a long time like 3 days.

I have never seen any temps out of normal range while driving it. It has had a mix of grocery getting, longer range solo trips and 250mi trips towing 12000# throughout this ordeal.

Is there a quicker fix for this? I am looking at a 2200mile tow in 2 weeks am I safe? Carry coolant and add? Drive a Dodge?

Thanks for the ideas

rapidoxidationman
10-12-2011, 19:14
cuz my '05 likes to use coolant too. I don't believe it is coming out the tailpipe as steam, and I see the overflow tube area wet every now and then. So far I've just taken to carrying a gallon of premix dexcool around with me and check the tank regularly (like every couple of days or when the DIC tells me to). Like yours, my system holds pressure just fine, so I don't want to believe it might be a head gasket pressurizing the cooling system. There's no mix of oil in the water or versa vice.

Sound familiar?

On the upside, I'll not need to change my coolant at 150K miles...

Edit: I took mine on a 6,000 mile trip this summer. Checked the coolant every morning when it was cold, added if necessary, and had no problems.

JohnC
10-13-2011, 08:25

Pressurization comes from coolant expanding from heat. When the engine cools the pressure should all be gone. If it is not, then something other than heat is pressurizing the system (head gaskets...)

Mark Rinker
10-13-2011, 08:43
Does the top radiator hose stay pressurized, after the engine is cool?

With age and mileage like yours, it could be as simple as installing new thermostats...however, the likely culprit for a 2001 will be the head gaskets.

Read elsewhere on the forums about improvements make to head gaskets in the 2002 model year. Your model year is very prone to failure and pressurizing the cooling system as you describe.

Kennedy
10-14-2011, 13:19
2001 with about 250000 miles and suposedly a new set of injectors at about 180000mi. Running a JK economy tune computer ( never seen the need to flip the switch)

about a month ago I found a puddle of orange under the truck. I refilled it, it puked a little and I refilled it again. Went about a week and a half and it puked a bunch again. 2 more refill sessions and it seems to be holding.

I think I may have been overfilling the tank as I just noticed that the top of the tank does not vent into the fill tube. Looks like a poor design.

I have never seen any temps out of normal range while driving it. It has had a mix of grocery getting, longer range solo trips and 250mi trips towing 12000# throughout this ordeal.

Is there a quicker fix for this? I am looking at a 2200mile tow in 2 weeks am I safe? Carry coolant and add? Drive a Dodge?

Thanks for the ideas

Head gasket

Heartbeat Hauler
10-15-2011, 09:22
Yeah, sounds like a head gasket. As far as your 2200 mile towing trip, I don't think I would risk it until you know for sure what is up. If it is head gaskets I would get it fixed first. Nothing spells fun like a major engine fix at a shop you don't know in the middle of B.F. Egypt.

9365turbo
10-23-2011, 19:25
Sounds like what my 02 D-maxx was doing at 185k Changed the head gaskets and no problems ever since. Did all the work myself exept having the injector cups pulled from the heads. Mine would blow coolant out when towing or just going up a long hill.I put a gatorade bottle by the coolant tank to catch the coolant.