PDA

View Full Version : EFI-MFI Conversion - Transmission Control

More Power
09-10-2004, 10:53
Powertrain Control Solutions
Electronic Transmission Controller

http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/pcstrans.htm

The Diesel Page published its first article about converting an electronically fuel injected 6.5 diesel to mechanical fuel injection way back in 1998. Since then, a couple of additional articles have appeared here that added new information and insight into the technical aspects of such a conversion. During this time, we've learned that the biggest hurdle to overcome during an EFI-MFI conversion has been maintaining proper control of the 4L80-E automatic transmission. This article takes this discussion a step farther, in that it offers a clean and relatively simple solution to effectively maintain control of the 4L80-E.

sidedump
09-10-2004, 11:59
This system looks like it might be the answer for us that have 92-93' wiring problems and would like to have the added feature of a selectable transmission (tow/haul mode). I had to upgrade my harness to the 94'-up style. To fix my trucks problems. Not cheap.
Thank you #1

rjwest
09-11-2004, 08:35
More Power. Have you read any info on the TCI
controller? I was considering removing my 96 Trans
from the PCM and installing the TCI unit just to get controll of the Shifting and TCC lock up. The PCS looks to have more programable features but seems quite complicated.

http://www.tciauto.com/electronics/index.htm

radrecon69
09-11-2004, 12:37
Can this be used to convert a manual transmission to a automatic? Next year I am going to pull that manual out and replace it with a automatic (my wife cannot push the clutch in that dually I own.)

Thanks

Rick

Bobbie Martin
09-11-2004, 18:51
I will second the notion that a standalone trans computer is the way to go for DB2 swaps. There are cheaper ways to do it that the trans computer you mention, but you don't get the adjustability. We've put about 15,000 miles on our Suburban since I installed a DB2 pump and its the best thing I've ever done to the truck.

More Power
09-12-2004, 11:03
The system comes with a generic program that can be easily adjusted to suit our special needs (engine rpm range, shift points, etc.), and we can all work together to produce a near perfect program if there's enough interest in EFI-MFI conversions.

In addition, this controller could be of interest to 6.2 owners who might want to install a 4L60-E, and there could be a growing interest in Allison retrofits in 6.2/6.5 (or any other) vehicles.

Converting a manual equipped truck is possible, but you'll need to install a steering column out of an auto trans equipped truck (or put in a floor shifter).

MP

More Power
11-01-2004, 15:20
I received the following email message this morning concerning the PCS controller. I thought you all might be interested.

MP
----------------------------------------
"Hey Jim, Been a long time since I talked with you. I just wanted to let you know a bit about my experience with this controller. First off, since I pressured these guys to let me have their controller early they obliged and allowed me to help beta test the nearly finished product.

I had put a slightly modified(Pennisular diesel upgrades) 6.5 in my '83 chevy van. The stock 700r4 was only lasting about 2 years(no towing) in this almost 7,000 lb vehicle. So I decided to build up a 4l80e for this vehicle. It was an interesting project that necessitated building a new crossmember for the rear transmission support. Also, learning how to rebuild a junkyard 4l80e that I got for $125.00 was a real bonus. I would suggest that most people get theirs already rebuilt by a reputable rebuilder that has dyno capability. It is easy for oddball hidden problems to be missed by even good builders.

This controller is great though. The latest version of the software is solid and works awesome. The next revision is only going to make it better. word of slight warning. The new user needs to make sure his TPS is controlling the line pressure like it should. The default settings I got were way inadequate. I have spent since june of this year tweaking this controller to work well with the diesel torque. If someone had access to factory specs on TPS related shiftpoints for diesel trucks it would go a long way to helping them configure this unit. The default config file they have for this transmission is for a gas engine and you would be surprised the difference it makes.

How I did it goes like this. I had already added a tachometer that uses small powerful magnets attached to the damper. I just spliced into this for the controller to sense engine speed. I had to set it up as a 4 cylinder engine in the software to accomodate the 2 magnetic pulses. It works good though the software shows some erratic needle movement.

For the TPS I had to get creative. A local mechanic gave me a TPS that was replaced but later found to be good off of a chevy minivan. I fabricated a control arm etc and hooked it to the old 700R4 linkage and mounted it to the top of the engine. Later I think I will use a simple straight plunger style TPS that I will mount to the gas pedal.

If you know of anyone who has set one of these tcu's up I would be glad to trade config files just for the hell of it. Also Ballenger will have my config file soon as I finish tweaking some shift points.

Hope things are going great at the website

Sincerely,
Bryan Fullerton"

grape
11-01-2004, 16:47
I've got everything in place i need to do this swap except a vehicle speed sensor.......what is everybody using. I'm lucky I have an NP208 that will let me retain my stock cable drive speedo. I have found a turbo 400 to NP241 adaptor, which the 400 has the same pattern as the 4l80e and the NP241 has the same pattern as the NP208. I have downloaded the software and have been playing with the settings......this reminds me of my digital fuel injection days with the turbo'd mustangs. except it's waaaayyyy easier ;)

jdmetcalf57
11-01-2004, 18:45
radrecon69
I am currently in the process of changing my 99 k3500 to a manual. I will be having a trans for sale. If you want to e-mail me we could talk about trading parts.
jdmetcalf@hotmail.com

jdmetcalf57
11-01-2004, 19:03
radrecon69
I checked the map and we are neighbors. You're a little more than an hour away. If your truck has a grey interior we could swap a bunch of parts. But I need to know if you're interested soon as I am planning on starting the swap very soon.
Give me a call if you want or e-mail me.
Jeff Metcalf 618-445-3881

More Power
11-02-2004, 12:41
The Diesel Depot (http://www.thedieselpage.com/vendors/avant.htm) had a number of used 6.2/6.5 engine speed sensors a while back. They are priced right, if they still have them.

The genuine 6.5 engine speed sensor/oil pump drive is the best way to get engine speed for the controller.

The genuine 6.5 DB2 TPS is the best choice for throttle position.

MP

Peter J. Bierman
11-02-2004, 13:49
I am leaning more and more towards this option.
I have the parts, both engine speed and trottle position sensors.
The programabillity is great, but it's another $1000.- on top off the 1000's I allready spent :eek:

Just have to find a way to smuggle it through customs :D

Peter

grape
11-02-2004, 15:31
Us guys with old trucks that still have to retain use of our cable driven speedo's need one of these
http://www.jtrpublishing.com/Pages/Parts_S10-Reluctor-Diff.html
the engine speed sensor and the throttle position sensor are not all we need to make it work.

Peter J. Bierman
11-03-2004, 14:46
I know I need more then the two sensors, but those are the most important parts to make the 4L80E work.
The transmission controller in combination with the display can calculate the vehicle speed and show it on the display.
On the other hand, if I can make the T-case fit to the tranny, I can use the old mechanical speedo.
Not figgured it all out yet but getting there :D

Peter

grape
11-03-2004, 15:10
if you have a 2wd transmission you need a 4wd output shaft. Then you need a 32 spline input gear for your transfer case, then you need the trans to transfer case adapter from a turbo 400 to NP241 from 3/4 ton truck from about 89-90.

Peter J. Bierman
11-04-2004, 13:01
I am not sure I follow you all the way.
I have a TH400 to a 208 T case, I have been told the output shaft from the TH400 is the same a the 4L80E, only differance is the length? :confused:
So all I have to do is make a spaceradaptor to compensate for the longer shaft.
The drive shafts has to be modified anyway.
In the end, if this does not work I go to rearwheel drive and find a way to hook up the speedo.
I have seen an electrical drive that converts the signal from the computer to a motor that driver the cable, very pricy though ( 800 $ ) :eek:

I'll work it out some how, but first I need a matching computer to control the tranny

Peter

grape
11-04-2004, 13:17
if your 4l80 is a 4x4 version it will bolt in place of your 400 without any changes. Yes, then the only difference is the transfer case moves back which requires the driveshafts to be modified. The last thing I'm having to fab up is the shift linkage to our old style columns. I'm still unsure of engine location because I may be moving the engine forward so the 4" pipe out of the turbo will clear the firewall smile.gif

Peter J. Bierman
11-04-2004, 13:32
It is a two wheel drive unit but I think I can still make this work some how.
Biggest problem is to identify the computer as a stand alone or buy an other computer like mentioned above.

Peter