PDA

View Full Version : PMD/FDS opinons/advise

mobilevet
10-17-2011, 13:29
okay, so recently I fixed the broken valve spring on the truck and while it was all apart when over most of the engine very closely, replaced a few fuel hoses that were wearing, etc. Compression check was pretty good overall (most around 320, one a little lower, one higher) so I was a little preturbed this am when it went to doing the spit, sputter, surge ahead, SES light - or two, run good for a mile, do it all over again, then die when I had to stop for the prison... er, I mean school bus.

So, I got out and switched to the backup PMD/FSD and she fired right up and didn't miss a lick the rest of the morning.

Given that, I place the blame on the other PMD/FSD and now I'm wondering a bit of how to proceed... here are my questions:

Do I just trash the other PMD (also a remote mount)?

Is there some maintenance that I can do and use it as the "backup" now? Doesn't seem like a very good "backup" given that it just gave me such problems?

If I buy a new one do I just mount it and go on? or, is there some sort of "setup" involved? - read something about a resistor somewhere...

Thanks for the feed back.

racer55
10-18-2011, 12:24
The best option is to have 2 remote mounted PMD/resistor/heatsink combo's mounted under/behind the frt bumper within easy reach of each other for the PMD harness extension.
A PMD pigtail from an old PMD harness is good to have to keep debris out of the spare PMD-any PMD pigtail cut from a wrecker IP will do for this purpose.

When/if a PMD fails on the road you simply unplug the failed unit and plug in the backup-2 minute fix on the side of the road.Much cheaper and convenient than a tow call.

All PMD's that are remote mounted need to have their own resistor and heatsink as well as have heat transfer paste/pad between the PMD and the heatsink.

Both PMD's should have the same value resistor.

Any failed or failing PMD is basically garbage,they will let you down again.

mobilevet
10-20-2011, 06:52
Hey Racer, Thanks for the reply. Got one ordered and will for sure remote mount.