PDA

View Full Version : First Duramax

TXAZ2008
10-20-2011, 07:50
I am thinking about getting into my first Duramax and want to seek some advice from actual owners before I make the jump! I will be getting one used as I cannot afford to pay the high prices of a new one! Price range I will be looking in is going to put me in one with around 100K on the miles. I have my obvious concerns with it being pre-owned and not knowing how it was maintained previously, especially with me being very particular on my vehicles, and with dealers now days being really good at hiding things...

Anything special I should look/listen for?

What kind of realistic life can I expect out of it?

Are there any particular re-occurring issues the 6.6 has?

Should I be worried getting one with 100,000 miles?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

rapidoxidationman
10-20-2011, 08:55
Each generation d-max has its own set of known issues... What year are you looking at?

TXAZ2008
10-20-2011, 09:03
I would like to stay in the newer 6-speed on the shifter model if I can (06 and newer), but I am still finding it hard to locate one with decent milage in my price... I would really like an 06 or 07 with less than 100K, but proving difficult to find... The one I found that I thought I was going to buy had 110,000 on an 07 4x4 truck. Went to start it on the test drive and the Service Engine Soon Light came on... Drove it anyway, ran great, just dont want to walk into problems...

TXAZ2008
10-20-2011, 10:46
Where do you find the engine code (ie LLY, LB7, etc)? Which one is preferred for performance, etc? I do plan on adding exhaust, tune, and air intake. Not going to make a race truck out of it, just a good performing daily driver.

EdHale
10-21-2011, 02:20
You need to find out what the code is that set the SES light before you write a truck off. The SES on mine came on a few weeks back. It was one bad glow plug.

Mark Rinker
10-23-2011, 08:16
All your questions are answered here on the forums, most of them multiple times over. READ READ READ

In short:

8th position VIN digit indicates engine model
Every SES light has a meaning and should not be overlooked
Injector replacement is the 'recurring and expensive' repair you want to avoid
Great trucks. You are on the right track, and in the right place. Be picky, there are lots of clean, well maintained trucks out there. Consider the seller and how they used the truck.
Bone stock with warranty remaining is always a good starting point.

Jakemax04
10-23-2011, 18:06
i would look on craigslist! was just messing round on it and found an 07 duramax lbz with 36000 miles for 24k. not a bad deal at all in my book, considering i paid 20k for my 04 lly duramax with 100k miles. main issue with mine is the t case formed a hole in it and leaked out all the fluid, 100 dollar fix if you fix it before it happens. other than that a great truck!

TXAZ2008
11-08-2011, 13:15
OK, sorry for the long lull in response... I did finally got one! Totally pumped, seems to be a great truck from all accounts. Insurance checked out on it, no claim history, CarFax was clean, all seems good!

2007 2500HD LBZ
Crew Cab LT
4x4

Thanks so much for the advice and input! I have lots of plans for it... Just need to get the funds together! Plan on spending some of those funds with Kennedy... I am sure his hits on his website has been up just from my visits... LOL

Mark Rinker
11-08-2011, 13:17
Congrats! Great trucks.

How many miles on truck?
Any GM warranty history?
Factory injectors?

TXAZ2008
11-08-2011, 13:24
It has 124,000 miles on it, more than I wanted but was able to keep it during a weekend and put some miles on it! I worked the deal through a family friend of ours, so was able to do things outside of the norm, I guess...

The only factory history I saw on it was the steering shaft had been replaced at 67,000, but I know this is a common problem with those trucks since most of our company trucks have had or currently have the same issue. Although they are all gas rigs, no diesels.

I assume the injectors are original, but not 100% sure...

TXAZ2008
11-08-2011, 13:44
If I did this right, I have posted a pic of the truck on here.