PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a '94 6.5L

SLCK64
10-20-2011, 13:46
Hello all!

My name is Jake and was directed here by a friend for some questions I had.

I am looking at purchasing a '94 Blazer with the 6.5 TD, with 214K miles, Truck has very nice paint and is super clean on the inside so looks like it has been very well maintained. I havnt had the chance to crawl under it or pop the hood but was wondering what are some things I should ask the seller(its a truck and trailer dealership, very reputable in the area and should know the basic history and have gone over it with a fine toothed comb), what are things I should look for?

I have never owned a diesel personally but owned a '94 YUKON 2 dr before.

Thanks!!!

Clifton
10-20-2011, 14:39
Hi Jake;
I am pretty new here as well and have not owned a diesel before either, so as far as the engine goes that is best left to the other gentlemen on this site but, I have some advice you may already know. I have always been very mechanically inclined and have worked at a few dealerships some time ago. Check all the body lines, the gaps between the hood and fenders, doors and fenders as well as door and pillars should all be close to the same gap, run your finger in the gap between all the doors and fenders, if they gap begins to squeeze your finger as you run the length of it, it us usually a sign the doors or fenders have been off and are not adjusted correctly. Bondo has a dead thud compared to a fender or door that has no bondo, you can usually hear a difference in between bondo and no bondo by tapping across it. Look at the paint close, if it has not been totally repainted you can see a difference where they blended the paint, some parts of the paint may have more orange peel than the rest. GM usually has a slick looking car when it leaves the line and should not have any orange peel. Last but not least, do a carfax, I know some guys will get a chuckle when I say that but, I saved myself a HUGE headache when we bought my wifes last vehicle. We were looking at a used Envoy at a very reputable dealership in Tx when I noticed a tiny bit of orange peel on the rear door where it was not blended in good. I figured the car door was repainted from a shopping cart ding at wal-mart but thought what the hell and ran a car-fax on it anyways. The car was in 4 different collisions, the next day we took the car back and told the dealership, the put it on the lift and looked under it to find it was two different vehicles put together, it had be wrecked that bad and the dealership had no clue, needless to say I am glad we were just test driving it.

SLCK64
10-20-2011, 15:01
Well the truck has been repainted. White. And I know that GM had a problem with white pre-95 so thats what im chalking it up to. Thanks for the tips!!

scot5146
10-20-2011, 17:05
Well lets see... i am not an expert on the 6.5 but have you checked the fourm to find any info the 94-95 engines... I know they can be problematic...

214k is alot of miles on any rig...

however if it were me and the price was right and i liked the rig i would ask about...
-What kind of service it has had?
-Any work to the injection pump?
-New injectors?
-Clean title, or salvage
-Any transmittion work/service
-Does the seller have recipts for the work/parts/service done...
-Etc...

These are good rigs, i have had 2 suburbans (a 6.2 and 6.5) i have done work to both but have still loved the vehicles...

It all depends on what you are willing to spend and do to any vehicle you purchase...Also decide ifyou are willing to takecare of them and do the required manitenance... Ask your self if you would be willing to put extra money into a vehicle you just bought if it may rrequire so...

good luck :D

Mike

Firefighter/ Vancouver WA