PDA

View Full Version : My plan

spinnerrx
10-25-2011, 01:11
I have a 83 Jimmy that I've had for a couple years now mostly trouble free, it's been sitting for about a year because of a recent move and new vehicle but I miss the old thing and am having shipped out. I would like to make it a good reliable and efficient daily driver. It's pretty healthy and all stock except push button glow plugs. Occasionally it will run rough after full throttle attempts which I'm guessing is a air leak somewhere. It has new lines to the tank. Other than trying to track down that issue I would like to add an electric primer pump by the tank, an electric fan in place of the mechanical and a small lift with some 33's. Also, I want to replace the auto hubs. My questions are-

1. Are there any other things I really should do for long term reliability? Timing gears? Girdle?
2. What kind of pump should I get? I don't think flow or pressure really matter for a primer pump or do they? Will all pumps allow fuel to flow through without power?
3. Will 3.23's with a 700r4 and 33's be too tall to use OD? I offroad a little but no crawling.

Any imput would be appreciated. I'm trying to keep this low budget but I don't ever plan on getting rid of this thing so I don't want to take any shortcuts.

Edahall
10-25-2011, 10:15
1. Are there any other things I really should do for long term reliability? Timing gears? Girdle?
2. What kind of pump should I get? I don't think flow or pressure really matter for a primer pump or do they? Will all pumps allow fuel to flow through without power?
3. Will 3.23's with a 700r4 and 33's be too tall to use OD? I offroad a little but no crawling.

Any imput would be appreciated. I'm trying to keep this low budget but I don't ever plan on getting rid of this thing so I don't want to take any shortcuts.

>>1. Are there any other things I really should do for long term reliability? Timing gears? Girdle?

If you've still got the original, consider a new harmonic balancer. The best would be one by Fluidampr.

>>3. Will 3.23's with a 700r4 and 33's be too tall to use OD? I offroad a little but no crawling.

Yes 3.23's and 700r4 would be OK with 33's. However, are you sure you've got 3.23's. I didn't know these trucks were offered with that gear ratio.

spinnerrx
10-25-2011, 20:14
Possibly 3.43's? I can't remember what the factory options were but it was taller than 3.73's.