PDA

View Full Version : Squeak from INSIDE driveshaft...

TheAmigo
10-29-2011, 16:06
Anyone else ever had this? Seems like the front drive shaft, the part that extends or retracts as necessary, has developed quite the loud and annoying squeak.

I wonder if it's possible to take off the dust cover and dump some sort of lube in it? The problem is that the noise is all the way near the front by the transfer case, but it's definitely inside the shaft. At first I thought it was the seal on the transfer case, but I jacked the rear of the truck up and manually spun the shaft and it's definitely coming from inside. Really annoying.

TheAmigo
10-29-2011, 16:22
The more I look into this the more I think it's a u-joint. But, I swear it sounds like it's coming from inside! :)

DickWells
10-31-2011, 18:10
Don't be surprised if it is a U-joint. I had to replace my rear one, about 2 years ago, and the only indication that I had, was a squeak, coming from under the truck, and it didn't sound at all like a metallic noise; much more like rubber. Started out not being much of a bother, and took it several weeks to progress to a full-time thing. Fact is, I had to get under there for about the third time, and really reaf on the driveshaft to get any movement. Yet, when I drove the cross out of there, one pin didn't have even one roller left in it! The squeak never did occur at speed, only when I was just taking off, or coming to a stop, and it never did rattle, like all the other U-joint issues that I've had in the past. Go figure

cowboywildbill
11-04-2011, 07:39
It could be comming from inside the driveshaft? Maybe one of the Gerbil's that powers the drive shaft is tired or hungry. LOL
Seriously though I agree.
I think a u-joint is probably the cause.