PDA

View Full Version : Turbo help- no boost?

65-f100
05-14-2004, 14:18
Guys - have a 96 K2500 Suburban. Truck seems to very low on power. I've installed the Heath TM controller, but no change. While idling - I can move the waste gate rod with just a little effort. There is a some resistance, but not nearly as much as I thought according to other posts I've read. I just received my gauges this week but have not installed them so I can't tell you yet what the boost is reading. Where should I start looking?

Thanks!

patrick m.
05-14-2004, 14:39
the wastegate should be closed at idle, with either the factory control system or the TM.

The TM is just a rod, and a spring, the spring keeps the wastegate closed, if you can move it easily, something is not right. You may need to adjust the tension.

whatnot
05-14-2004, 15:41
Did you just put it on and not tighten the nut? If so, you won't get any boost. The directions say how far to tighten the nut.

65-f100
05-14-2004, 15:57
I installed and adjusted per instructions for a stock ECM. From what I've read - it should be very hard to move it with the engine idling. Is that true? Mine does not move freely, but it does not require a lot of effort to move. It does move freely when the engine is off.

moondoggie
05-14-2004, 17:23
Good Day!

Does it make black smoke under ANY circumstances? If not, then you have at least adequate boost. If you had no boost, I absolutely guarantee you would know it - the road behind you would not be visible through the smoke, assuming max footfeed.

Does it set an overboost code? If not, the PCM is reducing boost when it thinks it should.

I have found with my 95's that I actually see a little gray smoke when my footfeed's to the wood after rpm's get much over 2000. The PCM removes some boost as rpm's climb (I have no idea why).

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

JohnC
05-17-2004, 07:54
Originally posted by 65-f100:
It does move freely when the engine is off. Something's not right! The spring doesn't care if the engine's running or not. The behavior you describe sounds like the factory vacuum operated system.