PDA

View Full Version : Throwing in the towel - parting out my '96

st1100jack
10-30-2011, 12:30
It has been just one thing after another, and I just can't spend another great lakes region winter fighting with this truck. It is not starting now, codes indicate high-pressure fuel pump to be the culprit.

The truck is a 1996 K2500 F, 6.5 turbo diesel, 5-speed, extended cab.

I borrowed money last winter to fix this thing up, and I guess the only way I'll recoup anything is to pull some parts. So, unless somebody offers me some money locally for the whole truck, I'll have some stuff for sale:

Novistar 2500 - This transmission was pretty pricey, and it has a warrantee until March. Plan is to pull it and send it back for a replacement, then sell the brand new replacement.

Transfer Case - Think it is the NoviStar, not sure. I think around 10k miles since replacement the year before last.

The following are all new within the last 2 years, 10k miles:

Front hubs/rotors
starter
heath module/relocation kit
summit crossover pipe/down pipe (down pipe never installed)

I guess the rotors would be tricky to sell, as the truck then couldn't be rolled.

Anyway, I am in northwest Indiana, between LaPorte and Michigan City. If there is any interest, in parts or whole truck, email me at

st1100jack@gmail.com

I'm going to start pulling parts later in the week if the weather holds.

BTW, I went to the dark side. 2011 Ram Megacab with the Cummins. I'm likin it :-)

Mark Rinker
10-30-2011, 13:32
This response is bound to stir passionate responses, but that is nothing new around here.

By about 2006-2007, there was no compelling economic reason to continue repairing a 6.5L era GM diesel over investing in the newer Duramax technology.

Today most people are savvy enough with consumer electronics to know when its time to say goodbye to outdated technology, and step into the latest and greatest hardware/software. The comparison between truck and computer ends there, but illustrates a good underlying financial truth.

By 2006-2007, there were enough high mile 2001 through 2004 LB7 Duramaxes on the market in the low to mid to teens that investing money to rebuild or repair a 6.5L simply did not make any sense, unless it was for a hobbyist or for the 'love' of a particular truck.

With 2012 just around the corner, it makes more and more sense to look at the millions of used Duramax trucks available on the market, before sinking dollars into the less dependable 6.5L platform.

Sorry we lost you to the dark side. ;) You'll never know the enjoyment that you could have had with a Silverado and a Duramax under the hood!

Okay, fire away 6.5L folks. I can take it.

More Power
10-30-2011, 14:12
Of course you're right Mark...

Fact is, most 6.5 owners past and present (not anyone here though) consider their vehicle as they would a toaster... Own it for as long as it works, then trade it when it doesn't. A purely practical and economic decision.

For others, like those who are TDP regulars, they know how to turn a costly repair into one that's a lot less costly. They also know how to get more out of the 6.5 and keep it in that practical/economic bubble. And, some are enthusiasts who spend more time and money on projects than can be justified by simple practical economics.

Jim

Robyn
10-30-2011, 18:14
The only reason I bought my DaHooooley was the fact that a 6.5 emblem on the side would cause most other prospective buers to turn tail and run away, FAST.

The loss of the first engine was not unexpected, the second go round was unfortunate for me, but I knew going in that there was a gamble with the engine.

If you can't do your own wrenching and scrounge cheap parts, its time to put the old girl out to pasture.

Sorry to hear this.

Good luck with whatever comes your way.

Missy

Big Green
11-04-2011, 09:59
Ok, so lets get this straight....

First of all, the 6.5 with the minor upgrades I have pulls/hauls/handles just fine for what I use it for. I just don't need 300+hp for what I do. I suspect truth be known, neither do most people.

So lets presume I need a new(er) truck...

I can shell out near $60k (300% increase over my '95) for a new version of my k2500 (less the manual trans which is almost a requirement around the farm) or $20k+ for something with just over 100k on it. The only way to get for 'mid teens' around here is to buy something with something a lot closer to 200k on it and 2 wheel drive. If you do happen to find one reasonably priced then it also is normally about due for injectors, tires, etc.

OR

I can shell out $5k to $8k to get a nice k2500 with the 6.5 and have $10k to $12k to spend on upgrades or whatever. I know it'll need injectors every 100k (less than $400) and an injection pump ($1500 rebuilt with timing set by dealer) every 200k. But then again I can work on it myself and don't have to pull the cab off the frame for head gaskets or any other major type work if it may need.

Also, With my '95 k2500 it will get a dead on honest 20mpg at 70mph all day long. No DEF to buy, no $900 water pumps, and most of all, no $5k injectors every 150k or so.

Oh, and did I mention that I really need a truck with a manual trans. Nothing is harder than picking up hay with an automajic. Just drop it in 4lo and first gear and let the old truck creep along while the trailer is loaded with 175 hay bales at about 70 lbs ea.

So, bottom line is that the math does not work for me. But then again I'm still driving my 1995 saturn SL1 which is quickly closing in on 1/2 million miles.

Big Green

engineeradam
11-05-2011, 13:19
i think those old saturns with the ugly headlamps are great, the have the mentality of a 6.2 and last forever, unless you hit something <.< >.> but yea im in the wrong post, i love my 6.2. its so reliable gas efficient slow... but beautiful sound. I will never trade mechanical for electronic. Computers are good for solitaire, i like being in control of my cars. 87 6.2 sierra and a 68 307 impala

ronniejoe
11-10-2011, 08:28
It costs me far less to maintain and upgrade my 95 6.5 Suburban than it would cost to buy a beat up Duramax.

Last spring I completely rebuilt the front suspension and at over 345,000 miles, this Suburban drives like a brand new truck...for a lot less than a brand new truck. Besides, they haven't built a Diesel Suburban since 1999.

Sure, if you're like Mark and can't do the maintenance work and have to pay someone to do it, it doesn't make sense. But to those of us who can and aren't afraid to tackle big jobs, these older trucks make a lot of sense.

Burgess
11-27-2011, 16:54
well........the '98 burb has 415,000 +.........runs like new..........body is in great shape.......still gives me 17 per at 70 mph highway........and getting ready to make another run to montana from the es of maryland in a couple weeks. cost some money to stay on top of things but i own it and it's a lot cheaper than a new one [ which they don't make anyway ]........still an awesome cross country rig and i plan on running her until she makes a million........or more. we shall see just how good amsoil in everthing really is.....

Mark Rinker
11-27-2011, 17:53
It costs me far less to maintain and upgrade my 95 6.5 Suburban than it would cost to buy a beat up Duramax.

Last spring I completely rebuilt the front suspension and at over 345,000 miles, this Suburban drives like a brand new truck...for a lot less than a brand new truck. Besides, they haven't built a Diesel Suburban since 1999.

Sure, if you're like Mark and can't do the maintenance work and have to pay someone to do it, it doesn't make sense. But to those of us who can and aren't afraid to tackle big jobs, these older trucks make a lot of sense.

Clarification: I wrenched on every car and truck I owned from the age of 16 to 36. Never got into engine internals, but anything else was fair game.

At this point in my business and personal life, I figure my time is worth more than it costs to have routine and 'break fix' maintenance work done by professionals - and most of the time it is covered under warranty by GM so it make zero sense to do it myself.

Used to really enjoy buying parts and putting the Camaro/S10/C10/Chevelle/etc... up on jackstands and wrenching. Not so much anymore, unless that item is made of fiberglass and floats.

Change.