PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Swap

theboz
11-01-2011, 10:01
I have a 93 6.5 with the NV4500. I love my truck but she is getting a little beat up and I really want another crew cab dually. I have found 2 94 model Crew/Duallies with bad motors and auto trans in them. I could have picked either one up for less than $2K. Both had perfect interiors and decent bodies on them. I know the swap can be done. I have a donor truck for all the parts and wiring and so I figure the only thing I may need to get is a driveshaft.......

I have used the search option. I can find people who did the swap but not a lot of details. My biggest concern is going to be the wiring. I have done auto to manual swaps before in cars.

So.....has anybody or does anybody know about the wiring? Can I just unplug one ECU and plug the other one in? Auto to manual? will the wiring harnesses be completely different? I have looked elswhere on the web and have read you may need to swap the steering column? WTF for? Has anybody actually done this swap using a 93 engine tranny combo with the mechanical IP?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,

BoZ

oldmechanic
11-01-2011, 17:36
if you use the 93 engine & trans you will not need an ecu manual pump & manual trans no elecetronics nrrded

HH
11-01-2011, 19:19
I have looked elswhere on the web and have read you may need to swap the steering column? WTF for?
BoZ

Probably to get rid of the shift lever. For a budget swap you may not have to do it, but that lever will probably fall down while driving and you can't turn the key to the lock position until it is all the way into "park". Where are the trucks, I am looking to do something similar with my rusty 93.

theboz
11-02-2011, 12:01
http://jacksontn.craigslist.org/pts/2647002023.html

This is one I found the other day. I looked at one back in May and was considering trying it out. I am still looking.