PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 TD into 2000 Land Rover Discovery II 4.0?

Jon K
11-01-2011, 18:13
Hey guys - so I have a Discovery with 25 psi compression on #1. Hoping its a headgasket or valve or rocker arm or spring, but if its bottom end I am not sure I want to pay the $3500+ for a used replacement engine or mess with rebuilding this one. I just don't know right now.

So, I have a 1995 Suburban 6.5TD 3/4 Ton with 110k on the 6.5TD which works perfectly except for a very occasional stall and hard start right after. Problem is, the Suburban was a scam, and has a fully rusted out front frame. So, it's replace the frame, or scrap the truck. But now, since the Land Rover is showing issues, I may have a "fall back plan" that could be cool at the same time? Ignoring emissions compliance and all that (:D) does anyone know what would be required to do this?

I saw a 6.2 swapped Disco 1 on here. I believe the '00 Disco II has a 4.0L V8 Buick motor. How do people swap and mate the transmissions? I know the lift pump and all that would need to be retrofitted etc., but I might be down for that. I don't know - this is very preliminary and I am just more curious than anything.

Thanks!

Jon

HH
11-01-2011, 19:14
I would recommend using the engine, transmission and transfer case combination that is in the Suburban, assuming the driveshaft outputs are on the same side for the front differential. Then you only have to adapt the ends of the driveshaft, which is easier than an engine to transmission adapter.

The easy part is getting the engine and transmission mounted. The hard part is all the little items, such as fuel lines, electronics, ps pumps, ac compressor, hoses, exhaust, sensors needed, etc...

The Rover is a good candidate for a transplant. Good luck.