PDA

View Full Version : Cowgirl Needs Help

Hollywood
11-02-2011, 05:23
I am new to this website and really need some help. I currently own a 2005 F350 6.0 Dually with 59,000 miles that I use on weekends to pull my horse trailer. I am far from a truck expert but I do my homework. My 6.0 has left me stranded on the side of the road with a trailer full of horses several times. The light bulb finally went off that it is time to say goodbye to my truck. I have never owned anything but a Ford. I am looking at the Chevrolet 3500 and the new F350 6.7L. Looking for advice.....especially are there any known problems on the 2011 3500's specifically when used for hauling???? Any and all recommendations are much appreciated.

More Power
11-02-2011, 08:40
Welcome to the board!

The 2011s use the new DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) as part of the emissions system. Aside from refilling the DEF tank periodically, there hasn't been anything unusual being reported that I'm aware of. Have you driven one of the new GM trucks? They're pretty nice.

Jim

Hollywood
11-02-2011, 11:20
I have not looked at any trucks yet. I had narrowed down to the Chevrolet or Ford but I am open to all ideas. Obviously my decision to go with the 6.0 F350 was a dud! What is the difference between GMC and Chevrolet in terms of engine? Many thanks.

DmaxMaverick
11-02-2011, 11:44
There are no functional powertrain differences between Chevy an GMC. The differences are cosmetic, aesthetic, and trim level appointment packages. The GMC does have thicker washers, though.

Between the two, shop the brand that appeals to you, taking into consideration the quality of the selling and/or servicing dealership. Except for specific circumstances, they must be warranty serviced at the branded dealership.

cabletech
11-02-2011, 13:41
You should read this article (King of the Hill Rematch). It has lots of good info on all 3 350/3500 trucks.

In the first King of the hill article, the GMC won and the Ram wasn't tested because it's tow ratings were too low for the trailer used. The GMC won the 2nd round also.

Jay

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/1111dp_king_of_the_hill_rematch/index.html

Robyn
11-03-2011, 12:01
My last FoRd was a 97 F350 with the 7.3 stroke.

It was a large DUD too. Left me and my horsie trailer stranded a couple times too and it got the Boot.

The GM 3500 with the Dmax would be a great step in the right direction.

Either GMC Or Chevy

As Maverick mentioned, just a cosmetic thing is all, same goods in all the right places.

Missy

Grayfox
11-03-2011, 14:48
Check out 2 test articles on this website. Reviews and The Hurt Locker. interesting stuff.

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/