PDA

View Full Version : Oil use?

Jesus Freak
09-07-2003, 20:10
Hey guys, just wondering what the concensus is on motor oil. I've used Rotello T for years with my 6.5's and just did my first change in my D/A with it (now have that great oil smell) :eek: . But, it seems that the synthetics are getting alot of ink around hear? How about that? Worth the extra money?
Thanks for the feed back...

HDMXDiesel0817
09-07-2003, 20:48
Hey there JF

Check out the 'Amsoil Series 3000' in this forum...there's some info that I got from other drivers in there. But with the syns you need to break your engine in first; usually about 25k-30k until you use them...that's what the syn mfgs recommend and also what I've heard. Right now I'm just runnning 15w-40 pennsoil (GM) in mine. And have only had one oil change on it at about 5500. Been busy with work and haven't had time to really to get it done myself. I wouldn't recommend going to the dealer though cause most don't see a lot of diesels, i.e.; somehow it was 12qts, and last I knew the Dmax had a capacity of 10 qts? Did I miss something here? Definitely go with a 40 weight, either a 5-40 or 15-40. Hope this helps. :D

For those in the Broome/Tioga Area in NY that reply, where can we take the oil that we drain? Any place that sells it? or only a specific recycling place?

jbplock
09-08-2003, 05:52
Per the manual the Duramax requires API certified (with the API Logo) 15w40 or 5w40 (no mention of 5w30) with an API service rating of CH-4 or CI-4. No need to wait before switching to synthetic as long as the oil meets the specs (this has been discussed at length in the past). With my 03 when it was brand new, I changed oil with DELO 15w40 at 1000, 2000, and 3000 miles then switched to synthetic...

Concerning disposal of used oil, my understanding is that any place that sells new oil has to take back used oil. Most quick-change oil places will take it. Personally, I just put mine in gallon jugs marked "USED OIL" and the folks who pick up our trash take it ...
smile.gif

HDMXDiesel0817
09-08-2003, 11:19
JB

Oh, I must not have been able to see those posts or something, it was my understanding that an engine break in was required. But that's cool though, thanks. Yeah, I talked to my dad about it (he just got back from the 90-miler canoe race in upstate) said the same thing. I didn't know that the garbage disposal guys would take it, who do you have picking up your trash? I think we have Taylor out at our place.

Sorry I haven't gotten in touch with you yet, been really busy with work and now I'm just getting over a bad cold. Look forward to getting in touch with you soon though.

jbplock
09-08-2003, 18:00
Jon,

Hanbury Sanitation picks-up in our area (near LMCO-Owego) ... Look forward to hearing from you... email address is in my signature... smile.gif

MadDuraMax
09-08-2003, 18:59
JF,

I used Rotella T until it was hard to find at my local Wally World. Been on Mobil 1 Delvac from George (AV Lubes) for the past couple of changes, it did get rid of the "tick" that Rotella could not! I think it's worth it on a $45K truck, but staying a a good change time period it the most important thing.

I've heard more theories on "break in" than Carter has pills. I've heard little convincing information on any of them. There is a normal amount of "wear" on the rings to cylinder walls that will happen until the honing marks are worked in. This is inevitable, while reducing the wear by using high quality lubricants may increase the "break in" time sightly I think the overall reduction in wear on the entire power train more than pays for itself in the long run. Can't prove it, but a lot of high end OEM's (MB, BMW etc.) are now factory filling with syns. Something to think about.

Mark

Jesus Freak
09-16-2003, 09:27
Hey Guys,

Thanks alot for the input! I guess I'm gonna stick with Rotella T 15-40 for now. I wanna do some other up-grades, so I can use the money there. What are you guys getting for mileage? Seems like I'm staying right around 12.5-13.5 with combo driving. Allthough I have a hard time doing under 70 on the open road... Anyway just curious. Thanks again...

HDMXDiesel0817
09-16-2003, 11:27
JF,

I'm getting about 17-19mpg between 70 and 75mph. Like you said it's hard to keep it under 70, haha. Umm low 20s around the 65mph and nearly 25mpgs at 62mph. As for towing numbers I have yet to get those, still looking for something big enough to tool around with.

:D

HisDMAX
09-19-2003, 17:13
Jesus Freak

I too am the proud owner of a Duramax w/5500 mi. I have to be careful both the truck and this site are habit forming. I read ALOT about oil and change intervals etc. I decided to change it frequently early on 1000, 2000 and 3500 mi so far. I am using the Rotella T and when I first changed it the smell really surprised me. It does dissipate after about 500 mi. I have not noticed it as much on the last change, or I am just used to it. I plan to switch to synthetic once the engine is broken in. I have been using the NAPA 7202 filter (made by Wix I think) $11. The dealer filter is actually less but I am not sure which offers better filtration. If you are going to change your own oil definitely look into the Fumoto oil drain valve. I am using the one with the nipple. Attach a hose and let it drain. NO MESS smile.gif .

I have been averaging 14-16 MPG (not alot of highway). I just returned from Maine this past weekend with only about 2500 LB trailer and got 14.5 mpg strait highway just under 70. I also change out the spin on Trans. filter at 5000 mi. I don't know what the manual says but the local Allison dealer suggested it.

By the way,great screen name!

Mike

Jesus Freak
09-23-2003, 13:54
HisDmax,

When you say you changed the tranny filter. Do you mean just the filter, not the oil? I've heard alot of guys talking about that change but not clarifying, oil or not...
When you say HisDmax, do you mean "HIS"? ;)
Thanks for the input...

HisDMAX
09-23-2003, 17:29
Jesus Freak,

I was refering to just the spin on filter on the trans. It was easy I just needed a small container to catch about 8 oz. of oil. If you change it there is a round magnet on the filter you need to switch to the new one. There was a fair amount of metalic paste on it when I switched it. When I asked the service guy at Allison he said the fluid could go to about 25,000 and then could go synthetic. I think their product is Transyd (sp?). I have read plenty about it. A search turns up plenty. I'm sure some folks are switching it far sooner but I am not pulling that much with it... yet anyway.
Yes, I do mean "HIS". It is a stewardship thing. smile.gif

Mike

Burner
09-23-2003, 22:35
Jesus Freak,

Just my .02 worth. The diesel needs a fair amount of wear to break-in. I would suggest running at least (real minimum here) 15,000 miles. Most of what you will read here about break-in will include comments that speak of "improved fuel mileage and performance" at different increments, generally 5k, 10k, 15k and 20k. Most of these folks are running a standard oil API certified (with the API Logo) 15w40 or 5w40 with an API service rating of CH-4 or CI-4. So, my .02 says that the synthetic goes in "after" 20k miles. ;)

The "Spin-On" should correspond with every engine oil change. However, if you pull often the Dextron III should be changed sooner than 25k.

---- I just wanted to mention that the rear diff needs to be changed after the first 500 miles. That is what American Axels said. Mobil 1, Amsoil or the pricey "Grape Juice" will replace what you took out, pure synthetic dope.

Burner-------------> :D

Jesus Freak
09-27-2003, 09:04
Hey guys,

I really appreciate all the info, and advice... I'll keep you guys posted on my success with the changes.. Thanks again! smile.gif