PDA

View Full Version : Remote Start for 6.5L?

arveetek
11-18-2011, 19:50
Anybody have any recommendations for adding a remote start system to my '95 Tahoe? It already has the OEM keyless entry that works great. I don't have an alarm system and don't want to add one either. I'm simply looking for a remote start only, and it has to be diesel compatible. Does such a product exist?

I'm getting tired of going out and starting my vehicle 15 minutes before I leave for work, but I love having it warmed up and the heat running when it's cold outside. I guess I'm getting to be a real wuss! :D

Casey

DennisG01
11-19-2011, 13:54
Are you planning on doing it yourself? There are a lot of wires to tie into under the dash! I had it done a local radio/electronic installation shop. From what I found, most kits do allow for diesel - they won't crank until the "wait to start" light goes out. In other words, there are plenty of models to choose from. The people at these local shops are wizards - I'd just tell them what you want and let them do it. Then it's covered - in case a wrong wire is cut or something.

Most kits have options such as turbo cool down (runs the engine for a few minutes after you remove the keys), the ability to control windows, and more.

rustyk
11-19-2011, 19:49
I'm getting tired of going out and starting my vehicle 15 minutes before I leave for work, but I love having it warmed up and the heat running when it's cold outside. I guess I'm getting to be a real wuss! :D

Casey

I don't want to rain on your parade, but starting an engine - especially a diesel - and letting it "warm up" is wearing it out prematurely. And very quickly. Instead, get a block heater for the engine and a small space heater for the cab. When the engine is started and running smoothly, GO!

arveetek
11-20-2011, 14:23
I don't want to rain on your parade, but starting an engine - especially a diesel - and letting it "warm up" is wearing it out prematurely. And very quickly. Instead, get a block heater for the engine and a small space heater for the cab. When the engine is started and running smoothly, GO!

I have a fast idle switch installed. I also have 240K miles on her and she runs like new. She's not getting worn out prematurely, I can attest to that. And I do use the block heater in cold weather. Thanks though.

Casey

DennisG01
11-20-2011, 15:51
Many times I leave the 1,100RPM High idle switch on. That way it keeps the oil pressure a little higher. Plus, it warms up noticeably faster.

I always thought diesels were better at idling than gassers? A friend of mine has either Cummins or Cats in his boat and his manual specifically says to idle engines until op temp is achieved.

I'm not saying it's bad to drive our engines right away (as long as you keep the load light), but what harm can come from idling (as long as it's got good oil psi)?

rustyk
11-20-2011, 16:16
Diesel fuel doesn't burn as well when the engine is cold; 90% of engine wear occurs on cold starts. Bringing the engine to operating temps as quickly (and gently) as possible gets the tolerances annd combustion up to spec.

The suggestion for marine engines to idle to operating temps should be annotated to run the boat at idle speed, so the engine is loaded, and will warm up more quickly than idling in neutral. Marine engines operate at a higher percentage of rated power than ours, so a thorough warmup before throttling up is advised.

DennisG01
11-20-2011, 17:24
Diesel fuel doesn't burn as well when the engine is cold; 90% of engine wear occurs on cold starts. Bringing the engine to operating temps as quickly (and gently) as possible gets the tolerances annd combustion up to spec.

The suggestion for marine engines to idle to operating temps should be annotated to run the boat at idle speed, so the engine is loaded, and will warm up more quickly than idling in neutral. Marine engines operate at a higher percentage of rated power than ours, so a thorough warmup before throttling up is advised.

I totally agree with you about how marine engines are used - they are constantly pulling a large trailer up a steep hill:rolleyes:

I didn't read his manual so I can't attest to any annotations, or not. Just that we were having a very similar conversation to this and he told me what he read in his manual. He just said that nothing was mentioned about moving at slow speed being OK - but that he should be in neutral. That's all I know about that, though. I did think it was strange, though.

Here's a question (more thinking out loud than anything else)... If when the engine is cold, the diesel doesn't completely burn, then... wouldn't that actually provide more lubrication to the top end? Since the unburned diesel would act as oil? Or, am I not thinking about this correctly?

I don't think I'd be comfortable driving the truck right away - especially if the engine isn't firing smooth, yet - as it often isn't (when it's cold out) until about 10 seconds.

Doesn't using the high idle basically serve the same purpose as starting to - lightly - drive the truck?

Please don't take any of the above as anything other than a quest for more knowledge!