PDA

View Full Version : Smoking 04 LLY

Aerodyne
11-23-2011, 07:37
How much if any black smoke should I have with a stock LLY? Under hard acceleration pulling out in traffic it leaves enough black smoke to make the auto behind disappear.

I don't care for this much smoke every time I need to jump in a hole in traffic. Gives diesels more bad rep.

Lynn

Mark Rinker
11-23-2011, 08:28
That sounds unusual for a stock LLY.

Black smoke is unburned fuel, indicating that there is not enough oxygen present during combustion to keep up with fuel being delivered.

Check air filter and supply tube for blockage, collapsing under high demand
Check codes for turbo malfunctions
Check exhaust (including cat) for blockage or restriction

Aerodyne
11-23-2011, 11:28
When I said stock I forgot about the aftermarket airfilter intake.

That could be the cause. I have an 06 housing that I intended to install but sounds like I will need to update for different size pipe.

Lynn

More Power
12-11-2011, 16:44
How much if any black smoke should I have with a stock LLY? Under hard acceleration pulling out in traffic it leaves enough black smoke to make the auto behind disappear.

I don't care for this much smoke every time I need to jump in a hole in traffic. Gives diesels more bad rep.

Lynn

Shouldn't be doing that... Are you positive it's stock?

Jim

farmerson
12-29-2011, 22:36
we have a stock 03, its got an intake also, and it smokes a little, enough to see but not enough to black out traffic. and it only does it when it wants to.... not much help here but figured id give some comparison

Mark Rinker
12-30-2011, 10:48
Check your intake tube and filter for signs of collapse. Under hard acceleration/air demand, you may have a cone shaped filter collapsing, or flexible inlet tube constricting, causing the black smoke from lack of air flow.

Stock intake boxes with stock OEM filters don't do this.

lvallati
02-14-2012, 18:46
I have an 03 6.6 duramax which seems to smoke periodically at a traffic light, not quite a black smoke more grey looking. also the exhaust seems to pop, almost sounds like a paint can popping when left in the heat.
Any suggestions as to what may be causing it.