PDA

View Full Version : Passenger side rattle/vibration-not the downpipe bracket

rbox
11-28-2011, 13:14
Hi, new member here and a question.
I recently purchased a 2007 GMC 2500HD classic CCSB Duramax with only 22,000 miles on the clock.

I have been in the process of changing fluids, steering shaft and bearing, etc. I am due at the dealership this week for a nickel plated slip yoke and squeaky seat fix.

I have noticed an intermittent rattle/vibration that is hard to describe other than that is sounds like an exhaust vibration coming more from the passenger side of the truck while idling. I have crawled under the truck and tried to track it down but I am not having any success. Pressing on the exhaust pipe doesn't seem to help. I inspected the bracket attached to the exhaust manifold that is known to crack and do not see any cracks on it. It is barely audible inside the truck but very noticeable outside while idling. I also tried moving the dipstick tubes but that didn't help. When under the truck it is loudest when I am right under the transmission/cat converter area.

Any ideas?
Thanks!!

More Power
11-29-2011, 11:37
Welcome to the board.

If you've exhausted all loose part/metal-to-metal contact possibilities for a rattle, I'd think about the possibility of a combustion rattle...

The eight injectors are individuals. Each can cause that cylinder to produce a little different sound when compared to the others. A GM tech can deactivate each injector one-by-one, which might be useful to eliminate combustion rattle as a cause.

Jim