PDA

View Full Version : Major help/assertive opinions wanted

Granhi
11-28-2011, 17:05
The story:

Bought a 1995 GMC 1500 extended cab short bed 4x4 with a 6.5T with only 105K. Love the truck, got a great deal (so I thought) and once I got home and did a more thorough check I realized that the back of the frame has been stored under the ocean.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7024/6421649333_b0b5b39dcf.jpg

I know, never buy a vehicle that you've only seen in the dark, I just love the engine.

So now, I want to salvage my investment (and dignity?) somehow and I'm exploring all the options. I'm not hot on chopping/splicing with a new rear frame section, seems like a lot of liability if an accident ever occurs.

What I found is a 1996 GMC 1500 regular cab short bed 4x4 with no engine or tranny, but everything else, for $400.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7032/6421649117_a79cf52283_z.jpg

What do YOU think?
Should I cut my losses, sell the stupid thing and go back to driving my Focus?
Should I buy the $400 truck and put my engine and tranny in it?
Should I buy the $400 truck, cut the frame apart and use what I need?

I humbly submit to your Superior collective knowledge and understanding.

-Granhi

trbankii
11-28-2011, 19:27
First thing is to determine how bad the frame actually is. Start tapping with a hammer. Is it solid? Or are you blowing holes through the frame with each hit?

Granhi
11-29-2011, 03:53
It's about that bad, at least the very end from the wheels back. Cab to wheels might be repairable but the last part is toast.

Robyn
11-29-2011, 08:37
Get some Piccy's of the frame on the truck in question.

Splicing a frame is no biggy.

The fact that both trucks are not identical makes it a little bit more of a challenge but still workable.

If the frame is that bad off, other such stuff thats made of steel, like brake lines is bound to be in as bad a shape.

Just gotta love that salt on the roads.

I have a tough time relating to rigs of this age being totally rusted out.

Out here in the NW I see trucks in the 70's that have a bazzzzzillion miles on them that are totally rust free and the frames still carry most of the factory paint.

Keep us in the loop, likely we can come up with a fix for the problem.

Missy

Granhi
11-29-2011, 19:00
I'll get some pics this weekend.

I guess the biggest question is to if I can put the diesel into a formerly gas-powered truck?

Talking to my mechanic I guess it's just from the rear wheels back that needs to be replaced, the rest could be repaired, so it's not as bad as I first thought!

scot5146
11-30-2011, 10:36
Well in my opinion you have a few things to consider if the truck with the cancer is all OK other than the problem in the rear frame, then I personally would fix it before gutting a truck and swapping parts...

If you are decent with a welder and torch you can basically fix the rear frame issues with out that much work... Its only intimidating if you don't know how to weld...

I would like to see pictures of what it looks like and then I may be able to give you better advice...;)

Don't be afraid of a little metal work until you know how bad it is... Like I said if the rest of the rig is good then its probably worth fixing!

Keep us posted:D

Mike

Firefighter/ Vancouver WA

scot5146
11-30-2011, 10:44
more stuff...

Sorry i didnt see the two link to the trucks on your post...

DONT waist your time with the regular cab, it looks like every body pannel has had work on it, that is a headache you dont want even for $400 bucks prob not worth it...

I would fix your extended cab, looks pretty decent, you can always fix the rear frame metal and throw a flat bed on it if you dont want to deal with bed cancer...

Lots of options if, the truck runs good, cab and interior are OK, and frame stuff is function not show so once its fixed you will never see it... Remember that because it has a lot to do with time and money...

Mike

SIG220
12-03-2011, 00:18
Fix the frame on the Ext. cab. As others have said its really not that hard to do, especially if you or someone you know can help help you out. If it were me I would unbolt the bed, clean the frame up, repair whats needed, coat it and you'll be good for a long while. If you have the materials on hand you could have it done in a day.