PDA

View Full Version : GM switched back to solid flywheel/what year?

C.K. Piquup
05-15-2004, 12:08
What year did GM go back to solid flywheel?I will be doing the conversion from dual-mass to solid flywheel on my`95.I need to know what year clutch to order from Centerforce.I wish I had known about all this when I replaced the transmission a few years back.I would have bought the later trans for the solid flywheel set-up.I had a shop convert the`92,it cost me $1,800.And,I had to send the centerforce clutch back and install a stock GM clutch.

Chris Hinds
05-18-2004, 11:40
GM changed back to solid for the 2000 model year.

There is a Luk kit to upgrade most of the DMF's to SMF's. I know that on my '96 with the internal slave cyl, you must use the throwout bearing for the 2000 also. It comes in the Luk clutch kit for a 2000, which also fits the conversion. Using the '96 throwout bearing that I already had purchased didn't work so well...

I think the luk kit was around $350, and included the disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. Oh, and an alignment tool. Good clutch IMO. Centerforce on a diesel?? Their whole thing is that it grips tighter as the RPM's go up... A 6.5 just doesn't get that revved up.
C

C.K. Piquup
05-18-2004, 18:13
I`ve been using dual-friction Centerforces on diesels for some time now,with excellent results.They have superior holding strength at low rpm.I`m converting my`95 to solid flywheel and needed to know what year application to ask for when ordering Centerforce clutch assembly.Wow!I didn`t know they didn`t go back to solid until last year 6.5TD.It was in 2000 that I got the kit to convert my`92.GM had already discontinued DMF from stock(probably took them to the landfill).Thanks for the reply,CK

C.K. Piquup
05-19-2004, 03:12
Chris,Did your kit involve changing any parts in the front of the transmission?Or,was it just clutch assembly?

Andy Chesek
05-19-2004, 05:07
Chris,

Somewhere on the Diesel Page is a page that mentions GM went to a solid flywheel setup for the 1997 model year. I just had the clutch replaced in my '99, and can confirm it already had a solid setup. Dial-A-Clutch's website also shows only solid flywheels for sale on '97 and later trucks, whereas with '96 and earlier you can choose a dual-mass flywheel or buy their solid mass flywheel conversion kit.

joed
05-19-2004, 05:25
Actually, my 98 has (and originally came with) a solid flywheel. I thought I remember reading they changed to the solid setup around 96 or 97.

Another option on clutches is southbend. I think their claim to fame was making a stronger clutch for the Dodge with Cummins. I believe their one for the 6.5 is rated for 350 hp.

I do think the stock LUK setup is not tough enough if you do much towing. My original clutch tore at the center section at the springs at 78K, with not that many miles of towing.

Joe

C.K. Piquup
05-20-2004, 04:00
This is good info,thanks all.I think we nailed`er.We can`t say exactly when it starts other than sometime in`97,or late`96 maybe.Since auto mfgrs do changes about every 30 days.That`s right,a few changes from start to finish of any given vehichle.That`s why we need our vin# to buy parts.I needed it to order flywheel conversion.That`s probably why it took 6mos. to deliver my`92 GMC when I ordered it.The parts it needed were probably off the line by the time they were to be installed.First I had to wait 6wks to start it,until 5 more trucks were ordered in Woodland Green(fleet color).That`s on me.