PDA

View Full Version : Slow to turn over, starts fine- Any suggestions?

greengreer
12-12-2011, 10:44
Like the title says, the truck started (yesterday afternoon) being very slow to turn over but cranks rights up. The truck was started several times yesterday and after a brief (maybe 10minutes) shut off, it was very slow to turn over. It has been started maybe 4 times since and has been the same, slow to turn but fires right up.

Checked the battery cables and the wiring to the starter and couldn't find any issue, also volt gauge is reading normal.

The truck is a '98 k2500 with 197k on it. Has a new starter with about 2k miles since replaced.

Any ideas on what to check. The only other thing I can think of is a dead cell in a battery.

Any help is much appreciated. I would like to get this resolved asap as it is cold and I am worried about being able to start it cold when I can't plug in.

Thanks!

DieselDavy
12-12-2011, 12:25
Hi Green,
I don't trust the volt meter in the trucks. I'd have the batteries checked at someplace like AutoZone. I'm sure someone else will have other ideas, but if you've checked ALL battery/starter connections, I'm thinking batteries. How old are they?
Dave

rustyk
12-12-2011, 19:31
Check the voltage on each battery while cranking; that should reveal a dead cell.

However, I'd suspect the chassis ground connections - even if they ook good, clean 'em.

scot5146
12-12-2011, 19:42
LOAD TEST THE BATTERY'S it sounds like one or both are going bad... If not the battery's then the starter or ground cable on the starter... check out all that stuff first...

mike

trbankii
12-13-2011, 05:30
As mentioned in other threads, even if the cables look good on the outside they're likely deteriorating inside the sheathing if they're more than a few years old. Search up some of the threads on upgrading the cables.

JohnC
12-13-2011, 19:10
Disconnect the ground cable from the battery before you test it, otherwise you're testing both batteries at the same time...

greengreer
12-14-2011, 09:59
Thanks for the replies.

So, after poking around and cleaning some ground points and the battery terminals truck started right up. I am thinking it was the connection on the battery end of the power cable to the starter.

Thanks again for the help, a free and easy fix is my favorite kind!