PDA

View Full Version : Can you see your LH battery side through the grill?

Mark Rinker
12-14-2011, 09:14
...I can!!!

Interesting observation during routine maintenance after driving on wet gravel roads recently...lots of muddy dried road spray making its way far underhood. Noticed with a flashlight that the area allowing this were clearly visible and open on both sides of the cooling stack, where I can actually see the side of my LH battery and the air filter box on the RH side.

Checked with shop that did my accident repairs in the case that something was omitted at reassembly. Called my buddy at GM dealer and he had two part numbers...when the bodyshop tried to order those parts for a 2009 using my VIN, GM said they were not called for on this model, but were obviously part of other similar Duramax trucks.

What gives? Obviously I get more cool underhood airflow this way, but also more road dirt and grit when snowplowing and and on wet gravel roads...

GM part numbers in question are 15915522 and 15915521.

More Power
12-15-2011, 11:10
Cooling is more about airflow through the cooling stack - or rather the pressure differential at the grille and behind the radiator. If airflow is allowed to bypass the cooling stack, there's less going through it. This is partly why an aftermarket cowl-induction hood isn't a good idea unless the induction is ducted to the intake or blocked off.

Although, I imagine some airflow is designed-in that bypasses the cooling stack to help keep underhood temps manageable.

Jim

Mark Rinker
12-16-2011, 17:43
https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=e6bf7b5e8bc8463b&resid=E6BF7B5E8BC8463B!449&parid=E6BF7B5E8BC8463B!448&authkey=!AG2COYTq7WReBnE