PDA

View Full Version : engine acts like it dont have no power after warming up

Plowboy81
12-15-2011, 00:22
Having a problem with me 95 chevy diesel. To start had a felled Dtech box and it caused the truck to just take off down road not even hiting the gas. push clutch in to stop from gain speed shut truck off and coasted off the road. Makes twice I have had this happen with dtech pmds. Put spair pmd on and started it up and drove it home. It set over night tell my new upgraded stayandan gray pmd and new extension harnes showed up. I got the harness that has the old to new style plug and mounted it under front bumper off the intake. Truck started fine drove it down the road and cut it off went into store, came back out and refired truck it was ideling rought and smoothed out. Went pull out and it acted like it wanted to die. didnt have enought power to pull out started ation like it was going die. So driffted it back and cut it off, refired it and it was fine pulled out and the it started acing like it was going die again does fine as long as you get going and hold the fuel.

Have replaced left pump and like said new pmd gray one, tested injectors and they all passed, done comprission check and all cyclinders have 400 at 6 turns of engine, rocker arms look good on drives side. tested left pump at main line feed at pump and it is 6psi at idle. Am out of ideas and only one I have left is injector pump or the new pmd want work with old pump even with new harness.

racer55
12-19-2011, 06:50
For a test,try moving the new PMD to plug into the IP harness directly without the extension.
The cable end can be modified as follows:
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/FSD%20Connector%20Interchange.pdf

Also you didn't mention if the new PMD was equipped with a resistor?

Plowboy81
12-30-2011, 00:25
Will try that tomorrow. It does have a number 9 resistor that came installed in it.

Plowboy81
01-06-2012, 23:50
Sorry took so long to rebly back weather here made hard get to truck. Shaved that new pmd out like it showed in diagram you sent. Thanks for that. Double checked and it is a number 9 resister in it. Ran truck today with it pluged up straight to the pump and it still started the spuddering after it got hot. So its not in the extention harness. So I let truck cool down and it ran fine again. Dont have another pmd to try on it, to see if the new one they sent me is bad.

racer55
01-07-2012, 07:07
Might be time to have a scanner hooked up to check various sensor outputs like ECT.

Also is the Optical Sensor electronic filter still installed on your truck,if so try removing it and connect the harness directly to the OS.

Plowboy81
01-09-2012, 06:46
Yea the optical filter is still on the truck I will try to remove it today. Only scanner I have is a Snap On mt2500 is that good enought to get readings off truck?

racer55
01-09-2012, 07:03
MT 2500 is usefull,it can give skewed readings for TDCO though.

After the OS filter is removed you could have excessive interference on am radio and it could bother the ECM-ferrite core available at radio shack can be fastened to the OS harness wires to do the same job that the filter did without the prospect of failure.

Plowboy81
01-23-2012, 22:37
Sorry for delay, with weather and work its been crazzy. Unhooked the filter on the pump harness and tried to plug it directly into pump but the wiring is to short for that. Downloaded a PMd, control solendoids and wiring harness test page for the pump going give that a try tomorrow. It shows how test pump harness and pmd and what the readings should be.

racer55
01-23-2012, 22:43
The OS harness should not be too short,there's a good chance that at some point an IP was replaced and the harness was tangled in the lines.

I am beginning to wonder if your problem is the IP,when it is warmed up and running poorly try pouring some room temp water over the body of the IP and note the result.

If it begins to run the way it did cold your IP is likely worn out.

The best test for a PMD is to change it out with a known good PMD,any of your friends have a working 6.5 that might let you try their remote mount PMD?