PDA

View Full Version : truck starts then dies like its runnin outa diesel

fishshallow
12-16-2011, 05:19
Hi. I have a 93 6.5 TD. Past couple weeks it has been starting and then dieing after about ten seconds. Does this a few times but if I pump the gas it will finally start and then runs ok. Inconsistant power delivery after that till its good and warm, it wants to surge with power randomly. Thanks for any help!

bobt
12-16-2011, 23:27
Since it's a '93, you can immediately rule out a PMD since it doesn't have one. You didn't say how many miles on the injection pump, but if it is something over 100K, it is fairly well worn and approaching the time for rebuild or replacement. ( I had the injection pump on my '93 rebuilt at 103K. When they took it apart, they told me it was worn out; however, it never gave me any problems or symptoms of being that bad. I just figured it was time.)
Also the lift pump and the oil pressure switch could be contributors. Check to see if the lift pump is pumping fuel by opening the drain valve. If this has started all of a sudden, then the lift pump might be going bad. I don't think the injection pump would show these kinds of symptoms all of a sudden, but if the lift pump is good, then the symptoms suggest the injection pump as the most likely problem.
Bob

phantom309
12-17-2011, 22:01
Hi. I have a 93 6.5 TD. Past couple weeks it has been starting and then dieing after about ten seconds. Does this a few times but if I pump the gas it will finally start and then runs ok. Inconsistant power delivery after that till its good and warm, it wants to surge with power randomly. Thanks for any help!

i had the same problem,.check the thread "fixing the no start aggravation" air in the lines is your problem,. where it,s coming from i can't say,.

Nick

fishshallow
12-19-2011, 08:58
Ill try air in the line first. What do I need to remove the air?

HH
12-19-2011, 08:58
Make sure your lift pump is working. Is the problem when hot or cold?