PDA

View Full Version : 700R4 2-3 shift too soon

JeepSJ
12-21-2011, 13:34
I've had this plaguing problem ever since I got the DieselWag running. The 700R4 was purchased from big-name supplier (Art Carr) and is based on a "K" case and has every upgrade option available installed into it. The problem is that when I have it in D or OD the 2-3 shift happens way too soon. 1-2 and 3-4 shifts are fine. When it goes 1-2 it almost immediately shifts into 3. If I shift manually then 2nd gear is fine. Also, if the trans is in 3 and I get into the throttle it does not want to downshift into 2 unless I get on the throttle hard then it goes down into 1.

Called customer service at Carr and they were not too helpful. Told me it was a TV cable problem or I messed something up and they wanted me to remove the trans and ship it back for diagnosis.

Any ideas?

Robyn
12-24-2011, 15:17
TV setting on the 700R4 is VERY CRITICAL

The cable adjustment must be SPOT ON

Which braket did you use on the engine???

There is a little bracket that lays down on the LH side of the valley area and bolts to the rear water port studs on the LH side.

The cable should have a slotted end that attaches to the stud on the IP.

To set the cable adjustment properly, you need to press the little release button on the cable end that snaps into the bracket, slide the adjustment all the way towards the firewall, then press the throttle all the way to the floor.

With the throttle hard on the mat the TV cable should be snug against the end with NO slack left.

If you can open the throttle all the way and still be able to pull the TV cable out more, then your adjustment is not right.

Be sure that the cable link in the tranny is connected to the arm on the VB correctly and to the little eye on the cable end.

If all this stuff is correct then there is another issue.

Art Carr has a good reputation so just check the cable connections, brackets and such well.

Did you use a stock GM TV cable bracket for a 1/2 ton rig.
The cable snaps onto the long rod on the cable bracket that bolts to the engine.

If you made your own bracket, you may have length issues.

When the adjustment is right the tranny should to a 1-2 @ about 15-18 MPH and a 2-3 shift at around 25 or so. (light throttle)
Once the light throttle 1-2 happens, a quick mash on the throttle should drop the gear box back to 1

If this is not happening the TV is way too low.

LOW TV will smoke one of these very quickly.

Give it a go and let us know.

Missy

JeepSJ
12-27-2011, 17:53
Thanks Robin.

I used the factory TV bracket with the long rod. I tracked the part number to a diesel Blazer, so I used a TV cable from the same application to keep everything consistent.

TV was adjusted by pushing the button and allowing adjuster to move all the way out, then release button and open throttle all the way which pulled the adjuster into its current position. That is the way Carr instructions explained it.

Like I said, 1-2 shift is great. 3-4 shift is also fine. It is only the 2-3 that is giving me fits. If I'm on it easy and let it shift into 2 then get on the throttle it drops into 1 just fine. However, when it gets into 3 it doesn't want to drop to 2 unless I really mash it then it drops to 1. Also, 4 drops into 3 fine as well.

Robyn
12-28-2011, 08:56
OK

Was the tranny ordered for a diesel ??

Possibly the governor is the wrong one. Its tough to tell with a casual look.

The wieghts in the governor as well as the springs are different.

Its not at all hard to swap the governor out.

Remove the cover, slide out the governor, slide in a Known diesel governor and reinstall the cover.

The other possibility is that there is an issue with the 2-3 shift valve springs (wrong ones ??? )

Since the tranny wil drop back to one with a quick mash right after the 1-2, then the TV is fine.

As long as this thing is under warranty from Carr, I would let them call the shots.

Just make sure they sent you a tranny for a diesel, If its got gasser calibration then things can get really hinky in a hurry.

Keep us in the loop

Missy

JeepSJ
01-01-2012, 23:24
It is out of warranty. The project took so long (moving, job changes, etc...) that it was out of warranty before it even hit the road.

Everything on the work order said diesel. Full throttle it will shift from 1-2 just before the engine governor hits so at least that part is set up for a diesel. I would think that if it had a gasser config that it would be shifting much later. The governor is a good call though, and easy to check. But would that affect all gears? I guess it is possible that they screwed up the accumulator/spring for 2-3. I plan to be swapping on a deep pan so I can check that when I get in there.