PDA

View Full Version : Class acts on the Diesel Page

Steve O.
09-12-2004, 13:06
Just wanted to fill you all in on a couple of the first class people on this page. I postred a few weeks ago with a tranny that would not seem to shift out of first.

As usual there were some great responses, but two guys here went beyond the call of duty.

Sidedump, from Texas, sent me a spare internal tranny harness he had. Wouldn't take a penny for it. Turns out the harness wans't the problem, but there's a steak and a beer with his name on it if the job ever find hims rolling up my way.

Charlie Petersen, also on the Page, has blown me away with his generosity. This guy is unreal. He is a pro wrench and just spent the whole day at my garage yanking the tranny out of my 'Burb. This is after he recently spent a whole night at my house helping my try some other things that didn't fix the problem. Oh, and while he was helping me with the tranny, diagnosed a couple of other problems with the truck. Never met the dude before he offered to help me out.

Like I said, class acts all around.

Steve O.

sidedump
09-12-2004, 17:08
What was wrong with it?

Steve O.
09-12-2004, 18:27
What was wrong with it?

If only we knew...

First thing was to install new shift solenoids while the harness was in the mail. No luck there.

Harness came, tried that next. Still no luck.

Put the truck on the Tech II and got good readings from the input and output speed sensors. Looked at a couple other things but with not much else to try really based on the symptoms, and thinking torque converter and having no other options, pulled the tranny today. Will bring it to a shop for a look-see tomorrow.

Steve

tanker
09-13-2004, 02:42
Thumbs up to Charlie, I met him once and he is a super, knowledgable person, who would give the shirt off his back to help anyone. smile.gif
Howie E. also a long time member from Princeton NJ. is another guy willing to give the shirt off his back to help someone. We were both in Jacob Lake AZ. and while motoring to the Grand Canyon, we stopped to help a family change a tire, Howie with the Jack and I on the lugs. :rolleyes:
Now it seems someone from Texas got very ill in New Jersey, and had to be taken back to Texas via an ambulance. Again Howie stepped up to the plate, and volunteered to drive their truck 1800 miles back to Texas, and then fly home.
Yes we are all a special breed here on The Diesel Page.
What goes around, comes around. ;)

Low_Bridge
09-13-2004, 04:05
Ditto's on the grate group oF people!!!

I've never meet a one of you but you all have been great!!!!

I've floated around on a few different forums and some of them are good but none compare the diesel page!!

For boating banderlog.com is the closet thing to the diesel page I've found. It's mostly vintage V8 jet boaters but again it's a good active forum and they'll eager to help about any flavor of boat.

Marty Lau
09-13-2004, 06:52
SteveO;
I had a simular problem but it was second. I and buddy fussed with it of and on for better part of 3 weeks and changed out every sensor and valve ect that could be reached outside the tranny and after dropping the pan. Took it to the local dealer they were stumped putzed with it for 3 hours but it works. The Tech I had start with it sent it to their tranny guy and he's not sure. They suspect there is a loose conection of short in the main wiring harness that is now not shorting. You might check the harness from the main plug on the side of the tranny and check eveything as far as you can follow it. :confused: It eventually goes to the engine bay and you can work on it in an area up there and thats of course where they told me the most problem area is! I drove it too a tranny shop and the owner who is great told me it's wasn't his turn to work on it yet that it was electronic so if it's wasn't slipping and just not shifting a new tranny might not solve the problem.

ttpost
09-13-2004, 12:02
if it is going into limp mode you may want to have your vssb checked, it is under the glove box and can be damaged by moisture. mine went out and it just had slight corrosion on one contact. it sent the signal to the speedometer but not to the computer so it wouldnt allow it to shift.went to wrecking yard bought one for 50.00 changed jumpers to match my original and solved the problem. just something to check.you may be able to go to a speedo shop and have it tested but i am not sure. good luck

Steve O.
09-13-2004, 15:35
Guy, as always great stuff. Will check those things out. This is definately like trying to find a needle in a haystack, and it sounds like I'm not the first that this has happened to.

In the mean time, dropped the tranny off at a shop today. We'll see what they have to say too. But I will definately check those other things.

Thanks again.

Steve

Marty Lau
09-14-2004, 06:51
Steve;
Since you have the Tranny out check all the wires in the loom coming from that big cannon plug that plugs into the side of the tranny. Pull the loom of and check each wire for breaks and wear. Do this as far up too the engine that you can get. This is what a GM Diesel Tech I respect has suggested.
If you find a worn spot patch it up. Good luck.